We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adding to original post.....

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Adding to original post.....

To add on to my original post, (see below,) I am just wondering why the opinions are more towards resorts than renting a house? I am curious if it is more towards safety or activities? We will be renting vehicles so will be able to sight see. Again we really want relaxation and family time, not crowds. If Aruba is better at different times of the year, may then need to rethink taking the kids and just do a couples vacay. Also knowing that I am on the Aruba site, what makes this island better than Turks and Caicos, as an example? Thanks again for all the help :)

(Hi all and thanks in advance for your help. We are planning a trip over the Christmas holidays. There will be 8 of us, 4 adults and 4 children (15, 16, 16 and 18). We have never done an island vacation and need some experts opinions. Our plan is to rent a house as we really want to just relax, have a few cocktails, beach, cocktails, eat, enjoy family time and have a few cocktails (it is a vacation). We also want to do some snorkeling and just explore the island. We do not want huge crowds, just a nice beach and relaxation. Thanks again :))

Montoursville...
Level Contributor
273 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adding to original post.....

Denise, I would have to agree that safety and activities both would be my reasons for choosing a resort over a house-your kids will enjoy all the activities the resort has to offer-trust me-I have been there the past 7 years with my owns kids and my friends-the kids love The Surf Club-they come and go and have a blast! The lazy river can't be beat and there is an adult pool for you and your husband!

Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
753 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adding to original post.....

Turks and Caicos has a reputation of having beautiful, quiet beaches but very expensive and not much to do at night. Unless you are considering Beaches in Turks and Caicos, I think the kids in your group would enjoy Aruba much more.

As far as renting a house in Aruba. There have been some break ins reported recently. Although I feel Aruba is very safe, not sure how I would feel about renting a house in Aruba or on any island in the Caribbean. I feel more secure/safe in a hotel. The kids would meet other kids at a resort and they can be more on their own in the resort areas than at a house.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adding to original post.....

Just to expand on some of my thoughts...to be perfectly honest, based upon experience, Christmas week is the busiest and most expensive week of the year on the island. If you are not looking for crowds, unless you wish to confine yourselves to your villa, you may want to choose a different time of year.

With a group that large between finding parking and hauling beach chairs for 8 people, it will be a hassle to get to the beach each day. I suggested 2 - 2 bedroom units in either a condo, resort or timeshare in that there are no villas directly on Palm or Eagle beaches.

Personally when we traveled with extended family of 10 - 13 people, we chose to go all inclusive staying at the Tamarijn. Their rooms are directly oceanfront. None of us had to worry about cooking or cleaning and everyone was free to eat and drink whatever they wished whenever they wished (Bar & kitchen closes 1 am - 7 am ;).

We've never been to Turks & Caicos but have ruled it out for Christmas travel due to the possibility of cool temperatures. Average high in T & C in January is 80 F, in December it is 82 F and lows can get down to 70 F. Compare that to average highs of 86 F. and 87 F. respectively for Aruba with lows no less than 76 F.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adding to original post.....

The above post really says it all. I am hardly an expert but was in Aruba 2 weeks ago in an apartment off the beach. I agree that it would be very difficult for all you to drive to a beach as described above. I did not see any houses directly on Eagle or Palm beaches. However, I did see some very nice looking homes in the Arashi Beach area which is very pretty and away from the crowds. My favorite island I go to every year is St John with its natural beaches and great snorkeling. Families rent villas in the hills with pools and drive to the beaches in their jeeps. Great snorkeling off the beaches unlike Aruba which is very limited for snorkeling. But I have heard that the beaches can get crowded there during the holidays.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adding to original post.....

Others said it well. Id only stay at a hotel foer similar reasons. The only island would rent a villa on would be St. barths.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adding to original post.....

To add to what kod wrote, there are some nice villas in the Malmok/Arashi area. Arashi is a beautiful beach.

My brother and I stopped there on December 26 so I could snap some pictures. Granted it was a national holiday, Boxing Day, but I did not even bother getting out of the car. There were so many people there the photos would have been full of people and not beach. ;)

For anyone familiar with the parking area around the California Lighthouse that was another spot where we did not stop and park the car. There was NO WHERE to park it was so crowded.

Edited: 04 February 2014, 15:59
7. Re: Adding to original post.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 06:18