We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day Bachelorette: Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, Curacao?

Miami, Florida
5 posts
Save Topic
Labor Day Bachelorette: Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, Curacao?

Dear Experts-

The girls & I wanted to go somewhere beachy & safe so we were thinking the Caribbean. Everything I've read said Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, & Curacao are the best bets to avoid hurricanes the last weekend of August / first weekend of September.

We were hoping for a mix of adventure, activities, relaxing, beach bars, and nightlife. As far as adventures go, we'd want to do a couple of fun things but aren't dead set on any particular activity yet. For instance, we'd be open to rock climbing, ATVing, ziplining, sailing/boating, booze cruises, waterfall climbing, or other novel activities (if you have any suggestions). Sadly, none of these 4 islands seem particularly prone to bachelorette parties or girlfriend getaways & deals. Does anyone know of specific hotels or things to look into for this?

Any overall advice on how to choose among these 4 islands? Are they all equally safe? Which is the most fun based on what we're looking for? Any other suggestions that will offer this balance but avoid hurricane risks around this time?

I really appreciate any advice you all can provide for this group of 4-6 ladies to have a fun, memorable weekend. Thank you in advance!

-BeachPartyGirl

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,906 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day Bachelorette: Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, Curacao?

You can cross Bonaire off your list. It's a snorkler/diver's paradise but it's a small island with very little nightlife and things to do other than snorkeling and diving.

What you're describing (party, ziplining, etc) you would be more apt to find in Mexico or Jamaica. Aruba and Curacao are both desert-like islands that resemble the terrain of Arizona (cactus) so you will not find waterfalls or ziplining.

Cannot help you with Barbados.

Miami, Florida
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day Bachelorette: Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, Curacao?

Thank you ArubaAmy. That was my sense as well. We were thinking of avoiding Mexico due to flight times & some of the girls' discomfort with safety/crime issues unfortunately. Jamaica, however, does seem to have more options aligned with our interests as you noted. My only concern is if Jamaica is prone to hurricanes that time of year. Some forums say yes it should be avoided end Aug/early Sept. Other articles say it's fine. Any advice on this? Thanks!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,906 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day Bachelorette: Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, Curacao?

We've been to Mexico (both coasts) 15+ times over the years and have never felt unsafe. We have even rented a car on occasion for a day and have explored on our own to see the ruins at Coba near Tulum. There is also alot to do there - ziplining, snorkling in the cenotes, horsebackriding in the water, etc.

Jamaica would also be right up your alley. Definitely make a trek/tour to Dunn's River Falls.

As far as hurricanes, it's a crapshoot. Chances are good that you would be fine but you still run a slight risk of weather issues. We've been to Florida many times in the fall months and have had great weather but nothing is 100% guaranteed.

You might want to post in the Mexico and Jamaica Forums, too.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 13:13
Miami, Florida
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Day Bachelorette: Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, Curacao?

Yea I've done Mexico with guy friends & never felt unsafe. It's the girls group that isn't comfortable. Same idea with the hurricanes. I'm from Florida so I visit home & the Keys & the Caribbean all the time, regardless of season. I almost never take hurricanes into account when planning travel. The girls, however, are worried about this so I have to be considerate given that I'm asking them to go out of their way for my bachelorette. Great idea to cross-post on other forums. Thanks ArubaAmy. You've been great!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,906 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor Day Bachelorette: Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, Curacao?

Have a great time with whatever you decide and congrats on the upcoming wedding! ( We just returned from South Beach this week for a nice escape to warm weather and had a great time as usual.)

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
241 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Labor Day Bachelorette: Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, Curacao?

I have been to both Mexico and Jamaica and am going back to Mexico in a couple of months. My advice if you are debating Mexico vs Jamaica would be Mexico, specifically Playa del Carmen. We have felt completely safe there and there is soooo much to do. The town of Playa del Carmen has miles of restaurants, bars, clubs on one street. Perfect for a bachelorette weekend imho.

The weather is definitely a crapshoot that time of the year. Having said that, we went to Jamaica in February for an extended weekend, and the weather was great for a couple of days and awful for the last few days. So no place will be 100% weather proof.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to message me :).

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Labor Day Bachelorette: Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, Curacao?

I've been to Aruba and Barbados and I would definitely choose Aruba for more nightlife. Barbados is mostly British and IMO the people just werent as "fun". I mean the fellow tourists, not the locals.

8. Re: Labor Day Bachelorette: Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, Curacao?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 February 2014, 02:05
Edited: 08 February 2014, 02:05
9. Re: Labor Day Bachelorette: Aruba, Bonaire, Barbados, Curacao?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 06:20