We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in Checked Luggage

new yrok
Level Contributor
181 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Food in Checked Luggage

Our children are very picky and like their night time snacks.

I was thinking about packing a small bag to be checked with items such as: Chocolate Chip Cookies, Powdered Donuts, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Bread, Potato Chips, Pretzels.

Is this allowed in our checked bag. We have an extra bag, so there will not be any additional cost. Plus, we are not doing this due to cost.

I called Lings and Sons, and although they will deliver to hotel, there not the same brands as kids like.

Please advise.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 01:54
NJ
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in Checked Luggage

That should not be a problem. Bring some in your carry on as well for the plane ride.

LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in Checked Luggage

Not a problem at all.. I have 4 kids and have packed tons of stuff, this last trip we took cold cuts from home since we all like a certain kind. Enjoy!!

new yrok
Level Contributor
181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food in Checked Luggage

Thanks for all your help!!!!! Everyday I think of another question!!! LOL!!!!

I could not have planned this trip without everyone from TRIP ADVISOR!!!

Thanks again!

new yrok
Level Contributor
181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food in Checked Luggage

Thanks for your reply!

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
134 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food in Checked Luggage

No fruits or vegetables.

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food in Checked Luggage

Just about everything you said may get squished. I would put them in a carry-on. Peanut butter and jelly should be put in checked baggage.

new yrok
Level Contributor
181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food in Checked Luggage

Hi SunshineonCapeCod

I was thinking of putting them in the dollar store plastic containers. This way they don't get squished, and the full duffle bag would be just for those few items. This way, on the return home trip I can throw everything out in Aruba, and take nothing home. It would only be about seven containers - and a total cost of $7.00 wasted.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food in Checked Luggage

Does no fruits or veg include packaged baby food? I'm paranoid about getting stuck at the airport (as we have to transfer twice and the storms this year have been terrible) and not having anything to feed my daughter.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food in Checked Luggage

I often pack crushable foods (breads chips) in a sturdy shoebox with a rubber band around it in my checked bag. They don't get squished though TSA ALWAYS searches that bag.

Amesbury...
Level Contributor
171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food in Checked Luggage

PB & J is much better if you put the PB on each side of bread, with Jelly in center- less soggy mess when the kids go to eat them. Never had a problem bringing food on carryon or checked luggage. I love snacks too and that is what I miss most of vacation, so I bring my faves along with us.

Happy trip!