We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passports

new yrok
Level Contributor
182 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Passports

My husband just noticed I was on trip advisor and asked me to see if anyone has any input on the following:

1. should we carry our passports with us when we are out for the day (except for beach and pool)????

Thanks again to all!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,047 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passports

No. Put them in your room safe and no need to take them out again until you leave.

Huntsville, AL
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Passports

I agree. I always put them in the room safe until ready to leave the island.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passports

Agree with the above posts :)

I always carry a colored photocopy of my passport... and leave my passport in the safe in my room.

I also scan the colored copy and email it to my self to have it just in case, along with copies of the front & back of all my credit cards im taking...in case i lose them or they get stolen, I know exactly which ones I have to call and cancel and I have the Credit card #'s, Bank Phone #... all in my email.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passports

If you intend to use a credit card, ID will be required. You won't need your passport, but your photo ID will be necessary. I always carry my driver's license.

Making copies of your passport and credit cards is a very good idea. I, however, would be sure to leave one copy at home and not risk mailing any.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 13:16
Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
683 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passports

I agree with yesilove2travel, we do the same thing. It is better to be safe than sorry!

Edited: 14 February 2014, 19:13
new jersey
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passports

keep them in the room safe, you don't need them with you.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passports

Tony - picture ID required when using a credit card? I've never had to do this anywhere else. Is it just Aruba?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,009 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passports

We use our credit card often and only in Lings market did they ask for ID, not in any of the restaurants we visited, Driftwood, El Gaucho, Kowloon, Mulligans, French Steakhouse to name a few.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passports

I have been asked for iD in shops and restaurants. Every time? No. But I have been asked. What is the problem with carrying your driver's license if you intend to use a credit card? Once again, mailing copies of passport and credit cards is a very bad idea. Make a copy to leave at home and bring a copy with you. I am done with this. How hard is it to bring picture ID if you intend to use a CC? Sheesh. I PREFER that they ask for ID when using my card. That is the responsible thing to do.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 22:53
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passports

We also leave our passports in our room safe but neither of us would think of traveling anywhere without ID, and for that reason we always have our drivers' licenses with us. *What if we were hit by a bus? And are we wearing clean nether garments?!* We have been asked for photo ID at some smaller shops and groceries stores and I am very, VERY happy to oblige. (I probably have scanned copies of my documents on my iPad, but that also stays in the safe while we're out.)