We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Jan 25th, 2014-Feb 8th, 2014

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Jan 25th, 2014-Feb 8th, 2014

My husband and I recently returned from our fifth trip to Aruba. We stayed at the MVC after lots of research and our choice was perfect for us. We have stayed at the Riu, the Renaissance, and Amsterdam Manor, but wanted an affordable 2 week vacation. We arrived by taxi and had completed the advance check-in, so the waiter at the Tulip just handed us our keys when we arrived. The room was on the 2nd floor as requested in a renovated room, except for the bathroom. The shelves hadn't been put in yet. All I had to do was ask Christy, the front desk dynamo, if we could be moved to a renovated room if one became available. They put the shelves and a new fridge in within the next two days. We were thrilled. This was not expected. The beds were very comfortable. The rooms were clean and basic, with flat-screen TV's and room service daily.

The day we arrived we walked to Superfoods and got a taxi back. We stocked up on breakfast and lunch supplies and beer and headed back to our room. It was about a 15-minute walk one way. We ate at the Tulip and had Keshi Yenna for dinner which was delicious.

The next day we hit Eagle beach and never had problems getting lounge chairs or palapas. We spent many of our days reading and relaxing on the beach. We met a couple who I think will be special friends, Amy and Frank, and hope to meet up again next year at MVC.

We went on the Tranquilo sailing tour the first Thursday and had a very enjoyable time. The pea soup was spectacular, the snorkeling great, and the service exemplary. Wonderful day from 10 until 3. Only hitch was I lost my footing getting from the boat to the dock and was rescued by Dwayne who pulled me onto the dock, leaving my knees scraped and my legs bruised, but thankfully with no broken bones. By the way, Captain Anthony was great.

We went to Oranjestad one day to shop and bought lots of souvenirs. Always enjoy being downtown.

Rented a car and went to Baby Beach for an excellent day. Just used a tree for shade. Tried to find Charlie's Bar, but still can't find it after 3 years, but it's fun looking. We also watched the sunrise from the California Lighthouse.

Ate lovely meals out at the Tulip, Mangos, Papillon, Chalet Suisse, and the Buccaneer.

Sorry for being long-winded, but we had a lovely time as usual and are counting the days until next year.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 23:26
Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Jan 25th, 2014-Feb 8th, 2014

Thank you for sharing. Sounds like a nice and relaxing trip.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Jan 25th, 2014-Feb 8th, 2014

I would pay BIG MONEY to have Dwayne rescue me.

This wasn't long-winded at all. I'm glad you had a great trip!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Jan 25th, 2014-Feb 8th, 2014

Thats for sharing, sounds like a great trip!

New York City
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Jan 25th, 2014-Feb 8th, 2014

Enjoyed your trip report. I will be staying at the Costa Linda in July and hope to go to all the restaurants you mentioned and just relax and read a couple of books. How was the Buccaneer, I have not read too many good reviews. Glad you had a great time.

Edited: 18 February 2014, 00:02
New York
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Jan 25th, 2014-Feb 8th, 2014

We had considered staying at the MVC for our upcoming trip in June for the reasons that you mentioned. We ended up booking at the Aruba beach club. It is nice to read about the MVC in case we book there in the future. Thanks for sharing your trip report!

Forest Hill...
Level Contributor
398 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Jan 25th, 2014-Feb 8th, 2014

Enjoyed reading your trip report and glad that you had a good time. Glad your fall didn't cause any serious injuries.

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Jan 25th, 2014-Feb 8th, 2014

Enjoyed the Buccaneer, as did the neighboring couple at our hotel. The bar was a ship with the inside of the restaurant looking like a ship. The wall where we sat, was mostly fish tanks with many beautiful fish. Great service. We had scallops as an appetizer and seafood linguine. My husband usually does not like seafood, but we loved it. The portions were large. We were very pleased.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Jan 25th, 2014-Feb 8th, 2014

Glad you had fun. Thanks for Trip report

Good to think about another trip

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Jan 25th, 2014-Feb 8th, 2014

Curly, wasn't it great to absorb some warmth during this ice box of a winter ? Friends were going this week but got canceled due to the weather ...Loved your report ....looking forward to an April visit

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Jan 25th, 2014-Feb 8th, 2014

Hi laryco, it was wonderful and we feel truly blessed to be able to enjoy this wonderful island. I would be so disappointed to be cancelled. I feel bad for your friends. So glad you'll be well enough to make the trip. It will make your anniversary even more special!