We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids in restaurants

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Kids in restaurants

I'm probably opening Pandora's Box with this, but here goes. Let me say, I love kids! I have two of my own. I especially love little ones! I happen to have three little grandchildren and I love them more than I can describe.

We've had lots of questions on this forum about what restaurants are good for kids. My answer is: any restaurant I've been to is good for children in Aruba if your children is good to the restaurant. I probably won't reach the people who need this most, but at Barefoot on Valentine's Night we had a wonderful dinner and the little girl at the next table was doing cartwheels in the sand. Sand going everywhere. She was beating her sand pail as a drum....well you get the idea. Everyone noticed her except her parents. Saturday night at almost 9:30 kids were climbing over the backs of seats and standing on the cloth covered chairs at Pure Ocean. We also saw lots of children having fun with their families in restaurants, but it's always the ones who don't care about the other diners that make a memory!

NJ
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids in restaurants

Boy do I get what you are saying. Little children should be in bed at 9:30-10 pm not at a restaurant. Have some consideration for the other people that chose to vacation without children! People wonder why their kids are cranky and don't behave at the restaurant.......................They are hungry!!

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids in restaurants

It is a worldwide problem and it isn't going away. A small percentage of people SUCK. We have to deal with it however we feel is appropriate. I am happy that my kids, now adults, and my grandkids knew better than to be disruptive anywhere. So, as long as your family doesn't behave like animals, be grateful. You have done your part.

Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
757 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids in restaurants

How inconsiderate! Obviously these are selfish people who don't care about others! Kids being out all day on the beach at the pool, they are usually exhausted. Why would parents think it's okay to be out to dinner that late with kids!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,182 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids in restaurants

I hear ya! Even bringing kids to sunset/couples restaurants is not always good even though it's early. Yes, some are well-behaved and I don't even know they're there which is great. But we were trying to have a romantic, sunset dinner at Passions one night (along with other tables with couples) when 3 kids decided to run in between all of the tables, kicking up sand, while yelling/screaming and continued this behavior for a good part of the night. Their parents (at a table with 8-10 people of family/friends) were having a lovely dinner because their kids certainly weren't bothering them since they weren't even near them. They had no clue.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids in restaurants

I've encountered this type of behavior at many a restaurant. And hair salons. And grocery stores. The parents choose, in fact, to let others parent and entertain their offspring. I was taught at an early age that public outbursts and rambunctious behavior would not be tolerated. There were rules..breaking them carried consequences. There are great parents out there, but the few who frankly, cannot be bothered, make it difficult for the rest of us. I feel your pain.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids in restaurants

This is the main reason I never go to a resort when kids are on break, Unless it's an adults only. Presidents week is the absolute worst.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids in restaurants

We taught our kids early on how to behave in a nice restaurant. We certainly would never let them get out of their seats and disrupt other patrons. When you spend a decent amount of money on a nice romantic dinner it is inexcusable that you should have your dinner interrupted by children of selfish parents. The restaurant employees really should speak up to the parents but probably don't want to offend.

8. Re: Kids in restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 03:23
Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids in restaurants

Under 7-8 years of age, Mc Donalds. Don't inflict your children on people spending big bucks for their dinner.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
833 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kids in restaurants

Yeah, was at Yemanja recently and the table next to us was populated by 4 little darlings running rampant. Staff did their best. Parents... did very little. Didn't ruin my meal, but definitely the running about, yelling, and potential hazard of a tyke bashing into a waiter made things tense now and then.

Hey, live how you want. I'll remove myself to another locale when appropriate, which may mean staying home.

Oh, well.