We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarijin or Divi for a trip with a 10 year old?

Downers Grove...
Level Contributor
10 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Tamarijin or Divi for a trip with a 10 year old?

I would love suggestions on which is a better option. We know that there are exchange privileges, but is one hotel a bit more upscale?

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tamarijin or Divi for a trip with a 10 year old?

The Divi is more upscale.

With a ten-year-old, I would certainly stay at the Tam; it's likely there will be more children because those under 12 stay for free. Every room at the Tam is oceanfront, too.

I hope you have a great trip!

Downers Grove...
Level Contributor
10 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tamarijin or Divi for a trip with a 10 year old?

Thank you. I am considering Divi oceanfront room, since I can visit Tam. Have you stayed at either resort?

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tamarijin or Divi for a trip with a 10 year old?

I would call neither of them upscale....more like comfortable.....we will be at the Divi next week...with a 10 year old I probably stay at the Tam

Downers Grove...
Level Contributor
10 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tamarijin or Divi for a trip with a 10 year old?

We have taken our daughter to Beaches in Jamaica and Turks, Paradisus in Punta Cana, Marriot in Cayman, and Almond Beach in Barbados. I personally like the looks of Divi more, but is the Tam truly better for children? Does one have a better beach?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tamarijin or Divi for a trip with a 10 year old?

I am not sure if one is better for children but you are likely to find more children at the Tam. The beach is basically the same beach and when I have been there the beach was beautiful at both resorts. I had previously stayed at the Divi and then when we returned with our kids (ages 5 & 7 at the time) we planned to stay at the Divi again. However, for various reasons unrelated to which is side of the resort is better suited to children, we switched to the Tam. Initially I figured we would still spend more time at the Divi because it is somewhat more "upscale" but it's probably less upscale than the other places you have stayed. We spent one afternoon at the Divi and had several dinners at the Red Parrot at the Divi (the best restaurant option in my opinion) but basically spent most of our time at the Tam.

With the beautiful beach right outside your door, there really was no reason to go elsewhere. If the pool is where you will spend most of your time you might consider the Divi as the pool is a bit nicer. However, the pool table, ping pong and game room are at the Tam and my kids did enjoy that and the reason why you will encounter more kids at the Tam. We also went off the resort to several places around the island, including some off site restaurants. Given that Aruba is a safe island with good restaurants, we have decided to save money by staying at the Tam on our next Aruba vacation and use the savings for some meals at the local restaurants.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 17:23
Downers Grove...
Level Contributor
10 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tamarijin or Divi for a trip with a 10 year old?

Thank you everyone!!! Excursion ideas would also be welcomed.

Florida
Level Contributor
594 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tamarijin or Divi for a trip with a 10 year old?

High energy excursions - Kayak the Spanish Lagoon, hike up Mt Hoiberg, Jep to Natural Pool and dive off rocks into pool, explore the caves on wild side

Less energy excursions - Jeep through Arikok National Park, Snorkel Mango Halto or any of the various snorkel spots, horse back riding the wild side of the island

Cultural excursions - Thursday night Carrubian Festival in San Nicholas, Aruba History museum in Oranjestad

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tamarijin or Divi for a trip with a 10 year old?

If your daughter is the type to meet other kids and hang out & interact - then the Tam is really your place. The center pool area has the snack bar, bar, beach, pool tables, etc.... everyone can be close and doing different things but you can still keep an eye on her. Plus the Tamarijn has 3 of the reservation restaurants vs one at the Divi.

The pool area and grounds are a bit nicer at the divi. beach is awesome at either.

Now - a word of caution - the Tam (and Divi) are NOTHING like the resorts you have stayed at on other islands. There are no grand AI's like a 'Beaches' anywhere on Aruba. Both are way way way more laid back, less grand, and low key. Compared to average run-of-the-mill AIs we've been to on mexico - we found the food at the Tam / Divi to be very good to excellent. Compared to a beaches - you may think the food & service is subpar. (there are no beach or pool waiters, no minibar in room, they have decent alcohol but don't make very good margaritas and no mojitos at all).

Beaches it is not. (Nor does it cost as much either). But if you go expecting it to be like a beaches, etc... you're are likely to be disappointed.

For excursions, check out the Jolly Pirates snorkel tour - with the rope swing ... our kids loved it.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 18:17
Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tamarijin or Divi for a trip with a 10 year old?

That scared me as well when I read the AI's you've been to. Please be sure to read about Aruba and AI's so that you're not disappointed. We've also stayed at some beautiful AI resorts, but our vacation at the Divi was so relaxing we loved it and ended up buying a timeshare. The Tam and the Divi are not big and beautiful, but what a beach and you can walk anywhere safely. Totally different kind of vacation.

10. Re: Tamarijin or Divi for a trip with a 10 year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 06:16