We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dutch culture in Aruba

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Dutch culture in Aruba

In my 9 year old daughter's social studies class they are learning about New York history and the early Dutch settlers here in New York City. When she found out Aruba was once a Dutch colony, she was very excited to find places with a Dutch influence in Aruba for our August trip. So if anyone has suggestions where we can experience some Dutch culture/influence in Aruba it would be great. The architecture in Oranjestad is an obvious example and I know there is a Dutch pancake place (Lindas?) but we are open to all suggestions (edible and non edible!). Thanks

Edited: 10 April 2014, 17:58
Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dutch culture in Aruba

Superfoods has many different Dutch foods. Downtown Oranjestad has many stores that sell Dutch souvenirs. I believe Dutch is the official language, but I just read in Fodor's Aruba that Papiamento and Dutch must be spoken by anyone applying for citizenship in Aruba. You will see that many people from Holland vacation in Aruba. Amsterdam Manor is an excellent example of Dutch architecture and decorating. My husband is of Dutch heritage, so he is particularly fond of the culture and the food.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dutch culture in Aruba

If you go to Papiamento, you can tour the house. It's amazing--and it was better than the meal we ate there.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
337 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dutch culture in Aruba

To be honest, there is not much typical Dutch culture in Aruba. Although Aruba is part of the kingdom of the Netherlands, it is very Americanized. Maybe interesting for your daughter is the windmill near Palm Beach. This windmill comes from Groningen in the Netherlands and was brought to Aruba by ship in 1962 where it was rebuild as a tourist attraction.

The dutch language is the official language of Aruba, and is learned at school. Maybe she can ask people to teach her some dutch words. But almost everyone speaks papiamento and english.

The money is the florin. However the Dutch money nowadays is the Euro, too bad it is no langer the florin. For me, that is one of the things we really like on Aruba, to be able to pay with our old florin.

There are some typical dutch shops (Blokker, Kruidvat) but I am afraid they are not interesting, e.g. Kruidvat is just like a CVS-store.

Maybe you can find some pictures of our King, I know in the lobby of the Radisson there hangs a picture on the wall of our King Willem Alexander.

Typical dutch are also Kingsday (april 26) and Sinterklaas (december 6). We used to have Queensday (april 30) but because Queen Beatrix reseigned last year, now her son is King and celebrates his birthday on april 27. Actually this year Kingsday will be on april 26, because when the Kingsday is on a sunday it is celebrated on the saturday (because of religion).

Maybe interesting for your daughter is Fort Zoutman, which is really an old fort.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 21:20
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dutch culture in Aruba

We have been to Aruba before and know it's very influenced by American culture but we enjoy seeking out other cultural influences. Thanks for the suggestions.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dutch culture in Aruba

Old Dutch Cafe for Happy Hour and open mic night, Dutch culture at it's best!!!!!!

New England
Level Contributor
986 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dutch culture in Aruba

Get some authentic Dutch cookies at Trader Joes. They are stroop waffle cookies. They were first recommended to me on Aruba.com board. Yummy to sat the least. I found them at Trader Joes a few weeks ago. she can bring them. In for class

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dutch culture in Aruba

My son did a project for his Dutch heritage and brought speculaas cookies. Cheaper than some of the other goodies.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dutch culture in Aruba

I am sure that during the world cup the island will be wearing orange.

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dutch culture in Aruba

Awesome idea!

10. Re: Dutch culture in Aruba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 06:15