We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos?

toronto
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos?

Hello everyone!

This will be our first time to Aruba this Sept. Very excited. Sadly though I'm a walking mosquito magnet. For some reason they just love me. We've only gone to the Caribbean twice in the past during Sept and I remember the Mosquitos being really bad both times. We also love to dine on the beach, where of course Mosquitos come to party. So can anyone please tell me how bad the Mosquitos are in Sept, especially dinning on the beach at sunset?

Also, we're staying at the Marriott resort stellaris. Are there any fun after dinner hangouts within walking distance of the hotel, i.e. live band bar, karaoke etc?

Many thanks

Pelham
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos?

I can't speak for September but the wind in April seemed to keep all bugs away. We didn't see a single bug even on the beach at night!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos?

Very close to the Marriott is Moomba's beach bar. Has what you are looking for.

Also Bugaloe, which is a little further down the beach on a pier.

Usually the trade winds keep mosquitoes away. If it has been raining a lot and there is standing water, you will see some. Bring mosquito repellant because if you have it, you won't need it.

Binfield, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos?

Hey! Quick tip! Mosquitos hate anything citrus smelling/tasting. In preparation for your holiday shower with a very strong citrus based shower gel, and also use it whilst you are away! Very effective. I would reccommend showering for two weeks in preparation.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos?

"I would recommend showering for two weeks in preparation"

Would have to disagree with this advice. You're going to use up all the hot water very quickly, and it's quite difficult to sleep standing up in a shower.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos?

www.bugaloe.com/what_to_do.php?pageid=Mg==

Bugaloe Beach Bar has Karaoke on Saturday night. It is located on a pier behind the RIU Hotel and is about 1 1/2 miles from Marriott Stellaris.

Lexington...
Level Contributor
516 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos?

Bring some bug spray with you and hope that you will not need. Bug spray tends to be bit more expensive in Aruba and there is always the prospect of a lack of supply or a lack of supply for the particular product that may work for you. Better safe than sorry.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos?

Thanks, Gracie-boo!

Penna
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos?

Gracie, your a riot.

San Francisco...
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos?

I have been here a week and just got my first bug bites today. Linda's pancakes is just inland from the beach and isn't as windy, which I guess is the reason.

10. Re: Mosquitos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:15