We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AUA airport Sunday departures

new york
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
AUA airport Sunday departures

We are departing for our flight back to the US tomorrow afternoon and I have read we should get to the airport at least 3 hrs in advance.

Am trying to figure out if that's really necessary as we will have two small children with us and no bags to check. Can anyone please share their off season Sunday departure experience?

Thanks.

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AUA airport Sunday departures

Read rachelms trip report

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,722 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AUA airport Sunday departures

There are may things to consider:Here are some

Sunday is a timeshare arrivals/departure day. No telling how light or heavy a day it will be, even for off-season it can be difficult. No telling how many agents will be on duty at the airport counter and at the Aruban and USA clearance areas.

Suggest two hours arrival at the airport to insure you make your flight even with unexpected delays in processing.

Douglas, MA.
Level Contributor
174 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AUA airport Sunday departures

I would arrive 3 hours before departure, that is what the recommendation is. You never know what you could be dealing with. Why risk missing your flight with kids in tow to boot. That

Would certainly be a bummer to a nice Aruba vacation. Worse case you have an extra hour at the airport. That's better than waiting for the next flight which could be costly as we'll.

I don't think anyone wants to leave Aruba but

Back to reality. Safe trip home

new york
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: AUA airport Sunday departures

Thanks for all the responses. We won't take chances and will get there 3 hrs beforehand. Is there anything to do around the gates to kill time in case we make it through with an hr or two to spare?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AUA airport Sunday departures

You might need the full three hours and you might not, but I wouldn't take that chance. Last year was our first Sunday arrival/departure in October and like you, I doubted the need for all that time because I didn't want to get off the beach to sit in the airport. But we dragged ourselves there and had plenty of extra time to spare. People that arrived just 30 minutes behind us had much longer lines to deal with.

Douglas, MA.
Level Contributor
174 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AUA airport Sunday departures

Shop for gifts, duty free shop, eat something

Watch flights come in @ see all the people arrive with smiles & wave. Yes it can make you feel like crying!

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AUA airport Sunday departures

3 Hours... a must! I got there (today) 2.5 hours before my flight scheduled departure and barely made it.. the AUA airport is the airport from hell.. its line after line after line... guess it was designed to have you standing in line from t he moment you get there to the moment you board the plane ...I spent 2 hours of the 2.5 hrs standing on 5 different lines... It's a shame that such a beautiful vacation spot has to be spoiled by a airport experience.

Levittown, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: AUA airport Sunday departures

I would get to the AUA airport 2.5 hrs- 3 hrs. before your flight. You will have time to shop, eat, and relax at the airport with the children before you board. If you get there any later you will have long lines to wait on.....you don't need that with children. The airport in Aruba is very organized, as long as you have your proper documents you should have no problem. Safe flight home!

Boston...
Level Contributor
837 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: AUA airport Sunday departures

It all depends on your departure time. If you're one of the first flights out, you tend to breeze right through. If it's in the mid-afternoon when all the airlines are beginning their return flights it will be busy.

Go to the Aruba airport web site and check out the departure list for the day you are leaving. The more flights you see with a similar departure time will tell you how busy the airport will be.

phila
Level Contributor
521 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: AUA airport Sunday departures

How was your flight home? Did it take you long to get through?