We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report June 14-21 First time to Aruba

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report June 14-21 First time to Aruba

Hi Just got back from Arubu and I have to say I LOVE ARUBA!!!

Flew in on United out of Ohare and that was nuts but kind of expected that. Arrived no problems. Stopped in the duty free for alcohol but didn't purchase. Big mistake on our part.

Stayed at Divi Phoenix and loved our room. We had the 2 bdrm penthouse in new towers celebrating 20yrs of marriage so we splurged. Most of the staff was very friendly. Pools, beach and grounds were very nice and well maintained. No problems with getting palpa or chairs but I always went to beach in afternoon. Divi is at the end of high rise area so there is little bit of a walk to get to the resturants but we didn't mind. We actually love to walk. But if you are with older seniors they will have to taxi or bus to the action. The food there was good but not excellent in most cases. Nothing stood out for me except it took a long time after ordering for food to actually be brought to our table. Slow service but we experienced this with almost all the resturants we ate at. Really laid back in Aruba. We ate breakfast in room most mornings and for lunch quite a bit. Dinner we ate out everynight. Ordered mixed drinks first few days then switched to just wine. The mixed drinks were expensive and weak. Wished we had purchased from duty free at airport best prices for alcohol. Made a trip to store so we could make our own drinks in the room.

Smokey Joes-Food was good to ok. Slow service

Salt N Pepper-Food was good. Slow service (lunch and dinner)

Senorita Frog-Good food, slow service (lunch)

Daniels Steak house-Excellent food, great service. Not slow or fast just right and really good steak and lamb chops. We spent a little more here but oh so worth it.

Asian Bistro-Good food and great service. Slightly more expensive but again worth it.

Pure Beach-Good food slow service

Pure Ocean-Good food slow service

Dutch Pancake House-good but slow service.

Did tubing and sunset cruise and ATV Jeep excursion. All were very good. Booked near Palm tour pier off the beach good pricing. These were more expensive at resort so saved some money. Warning ATV off road excursion you get get filty becasue of sand and also you should wear sunglasses or something over eyes because sand kick up in your face but so fun. Would not take a toddler (someone did and the kid didn't look to happy about the experience).

Didn't get to experience a lot of the night life because we traveled with family and friends and there were 3 kids so we mostly did family friendly activities and dinners.

It was hot and very windy but the heat didn't bother me because of the breeze. I want to go back it was the best vacation so far.

Aruba Go Cherry ATV Tours & More
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Aruba VIP Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Wix Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report June 14-21 First time to Aruba

Thanks for sharing!!

Start planning your next visit :-)

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report June 14-21 First time to Aruba

Great report! Hey how was the service!!!! :)

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report June 14-21 First time to Aruba

Thanks for posting....don't forget you were in Aruba not Chicago ....island time is more relaxed .....slow is normal.....

Level Contributor
263 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report June 14-21 First time to Aruba

Glad to see you enjoyed your trip. Aruba time does take some getting used to, but once you are it's very relaxing. Start planning for next year.

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report June 14-21 First time to Aruba

Nice trip report! So glad you loved it. Most of the people on this forum do.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report June 14-21 First time to Aruba

Alicia....two words: Island Time!

(Where were y'all going to rush off to, anyway? Life is short. You are on holiday. Next time, slow down. Relax. Have another cocktail. Marvel at the iguanas and no-see-ems.)

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report June 14-21 First time to Aruba

Good one EDS!! I was kind of laughing with the slow service theme! Every year when we land, I have to talk myself into slowing down my expectations!

We're Phoenix people and unfortunately I don't know what you're range of older seniors is??? Let me say, I'm learning lots about Social Security and Medicare this year, if that's a hint, and we still like walking to dinner, but maybe not to Wacky Wahoo anymore!!

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,982 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report June 14-21 First time to Aruba

It was your first trip and you did very well. Should you return to Aruba, you may wish to get away from the immediate area for dining. There are so many excellent choices that are not located in the hotel areas. Many are just a short taxi or bus ride from the hotel. Barefoot, Papiamento, LaTrattoria , Windows On Aruba just to mention a few. So many more. Ask on this forum and you will get good advice. Happy returns.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report June 14-21 First time to Aruba

Glad you had fun with family. Thanks for the trip report.

Welcome home

Hilmar, California
Level Contributor
479 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report June 14-21 First time to Aruba

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip. I think your last sentence summed it up well; best vacation so far...