We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tam in April with a toddler - ques & need help. TIA

Which Oranjestad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tam in April with a toddler - ques & need help. TIA

my husband & i are looking forward to a much needed family vacation with our 20 month old toddler. we seem to have narrowed it down to the Tamarijn AI resort. What can you tell me about the Tam that I may find helpful. Is the Supermarket I've been reading about on reviews here near the Tam? Would be so happy if I could just pick up diapers and wipes and milk at the market instead of lugging all that with me. Are the hotel restaurants very kid-friendly? Any restaurants in town you can recommend that my little boy would enjoy. Thanks all!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tam in April with a toddler - ques & need help. TIA

I've never stayed there but it seems to be very family friendly. The large grocery stores are walkable from the Tam and would have all of the items you would need like diapers, etc.

One restaurant that comes to mind is the Buccaneer (located near the high rise hotel area.) It has fish tanks at each booth and a huge fish tank in one of the rooms - kids seem to love watching the fish.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,643 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tam in April with a toddler - ques & need help. TIA

I think the Tam would be an excellent choice for your family. Although we were there with teenagers, we did see a lot of families with toddlers. If you get a room on the ground floor, you and your toddler can just walk straight out to the beach. Then, if your toddler takes a nap, you can relax on your patio and be within hearing distance of your child. I might recommend staying in the block numbered 2000-2500 as it will be less crowded on this section of beach and it's free of rocks. It is the furtherest section from the buffet, pool, etc. but I imagine you will have a stroller for the child and you can stroll either on the paved footpath or the boardwalk along the beach.

There is a grocery store about 1 to 1 1/2 blocks from the Tam. And there is milk available at the buffet, so you might be able to stock up there instead of having to buy it at the store.

When we were there about a year ago, there were three restaurants--Paparazzi (Italian), the Red Parrot (Caribbean/seafood) and the Palm Grill (cook-at-your-table). Although we did not eat there, I would probably not take a toddler to the Palm Grill for fear of him/her burning themselves on the tabletop grill. I think Paparazzi would be fine for a toddler, but I would recommend going early. The Red Parrot (located at the Divi) seemed a bit more "upscale" than Paparazzi, but it does have outdoor seating which could be good for eating with a toddler. If your child eats pasta (as most do) you should have no problem finding something for him/her to eat at Paparazzi. On the other hand, the menu at the Red Parrot might not be "toddler-friendly", but you can easily check the menu at the concierge desk.

And, of course, between the food at the buffet and the food at the pizza bar, you'll find plenty for your toddler to eat.

United States
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tam in April with a toddler - ques & need help. TIA

We just got back from Aruba Saturday. My boys, ages 4 and 6, loved Iguana Joe's downtown. We also really enjoyed The Driftwood -- excellent food for the grownups, yet still family-friendly, with a nice kids' menu and fish tanks at some tables.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tam in April with a toddler - ques & need help. TIA

As Amy suggested, Buccaneer is a great one. If you can, ask to be seated in the room to the left (the shark, sea turtle, and other bigger fish) will entertain your toddler, while you get to eat a nice meal! The room to the right has smaller aquariums at the tables, instead of the huge one that covers several tables. (Go early for your choice of seating.) Also, Rumbas (downtown behind Renaissance), they always cater to my two boys.

5. Re: Tam in April with a toddler - ques & need help. TIA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad