We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re bug bites

new york
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
re bug bites

hi does anyone get bit on their ankles and are left with marks on their legs for few weeks

i was wondering is it in the water or are they bug bites ?

maybe they are ants

Aruba ATV Tour with Natural Pool Swim
219 reviews
from US$78.00*
Special Offer
Aruba Off-Road Island Tour Including...
200 reviews
from US$106.99*
US$111.78
4x4 Tour and Natural Pool Snorkeling...
105 reviews
from US$89.99*
Special Offer
Aruba Sightseeing Tour by ATV
89 reviews
from US$72.00*
US$80.00
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
186 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: re bug bites

We didn't get bit while we were in Aruba but they are probably sand fleas. Bring bug spray and use before sunset.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: re bug bites

I get bit by those damn bugs every year. They only bite the ankles/lower leg. I think I have it narrowed down to getting hit around sundown near water/sand. Extremely itchy. I bring "OFF" with me now. It helps but I still get a few bites every few days. Yes, the marks last a few weeks. About a week after I get back home they will fade away.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: re bug bites

The bugs you are referring to are sand fleas. My husband has had a terrible time with them. A huge

help is a product called mosquito milk. I haven't been to Aruba in a while as we go to Anguilla now. We buy it at our resort shop. I'm sure they have the product on Aruba as well. It really helps!!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: re bug bites

If you're traveling carry-on, try using insect repellant wipes, rather than spray - wipes can pass through boarding inspections no problem, they aren't liquids. You can buy them in bulk here:

http://www.rei.com/product/751247

and then repackage as many as you think you'll need in a zip lock bag.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: re bug bites

Dryer sheets work really well, too.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: re bug bites

Thanks for the info, guys. I give these other products a try!

7. Re: re bug bites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad
Recent Conversations