We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort - any questions?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
346 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort - any questions?

I am going to write a longer trip report but Tim and I have just returned from eight nights at Amsterdam Manor - it was an amazing place to stay and we were thrilled with our experiences there. If you are considering staying there, do not hesitate any longer - make your reservation now (!) and if anyone has questions I would be glad to try to help out.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort - any questions?

So glad to read you had a fantastic vacation. Looking forward to your TR. Happy New Year!

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort - any questions?

We're planning on a return trip to Aruba late 2008, and are considering the Amsterdam Manor. Their AI plan intrigues me, but seems terribly expensive. Any comments? Also a little concerned with the distance to get to the Palm Beach area. We stayed on Palm Beach last time and loved the convenience, but didn't care for the large resorts.

Looking forward to your full report.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort - any questions?

Glad to hear you liked Amsterdam Manor! After staying at a few different places in Aruba over the years, it has now become our "home" for the last few trips - we love it there!

Amsterdam Manor is only about 5 minutes (or less) from the end of Palm Beach (near the Phoenix and Westin.) I would actually go for my morning jog on the road from Amsterdam Manor to the Phoenix and back again. The bus stop is right in front of Amsterdam Manor so it's easy to take the bus over to the high rise hotel area or a taxi would get you there in a matter of minutes as well.

I've never done the AI package at Amsterdam Manor. Too many great places to eat in Aruba - and because all of the rooms have kitchens we would usually do most of our breakfasts and lunches on the balcony/patio and then go out at night for a nice dinner and drinks.

We'll be there again in Sept. 2008 for 16 days!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
346 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort - any questions?

The full report will be under the hotel review section under AMBR once I finish it (haven't started it yet though... got home at 2am this morning!)

We did not go all-inclusive so we haven't compared rates at one resort vs another - for us it doesn't work as well because we like to be able to freely roam and eat/drink wherever and whenever. We slept through breakfast almost every day, ate off-property far more than at the resort because we were just exploring everywhere, and we also just drink cokes and tea so it's not like we would benefit from all drinks included.

That being said, if we HAD gone all-inclusive I'm sure we could've been extremely happy eating on the resort property for eight days and nights - and I think we would carefully consider this when we return. Everything we ate at Amsterdam Manor while we were there was truly high quality (we loved it but as always, tastes will vary) and very memorable, not just food - we were extremely pleased with the variety, taste, presentation - it was just terrific. In-room dining seemed to be with the same care and quality as in the restaurant - and we also ate out by the pool once, which was really great as well (amazing grilled chicken satay skewers with shredded coconut and peanut sauce - with a really nice salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers and onions -- even the chocolate brownie with whipped cream and vanilla ice cream for dessert was specially presented and so different than anything in the US). We did not eat at Passions, only Mangos, but it seems it would be even nicer (and also on the beach). We really felt that the prices reflected the high quality and it seems that with foods and drinks for two, with breakfast also, it could easily add up fast and going all-inclusive might be well worth it. There is much more variety on their menus than is shown on their website. I wish I was eating there right now!

As far as distance up to Palm Beach, it is SO close. It was really effortless to get there on the bus - seriously about a five minute ride and we never waited all that long - there are several different kinds of buses running back and forth. The bus stops right in back of Amsterdam Manor (on the beach side), runs frequently, costs $1.30 USD per person and drops off at the resort right across from where it picks up - literally not even a one minute walk back onto the property. The bus pickups and dropoffs in the high-rise zone/Palm Beach were nicely-spaced and put us right in front of so many places we liked to eat - we rode up to Palm Beach for lunch and/or dinner very often - also rode the bus into Oranjestad and ate at Iguana Joe's when it was raining one day. While it's nice if you're staying in the high-rise zone to be able to walk across the street for food, for us on this trip it was well worth the quick bus ride up there to stay at AMBR. Then again, if we are ever staying there for three or four nights instead of eight, it might be nicer to just go all-inclusive and relax and chill at the resort instead of running around.

We didn't know that at first - Tim and I were always high-rise people in the past and wanted to be closer to the action - but Amsterdam Manor has changed our minds about where to stay. . .the beach was beautiful and it's true that it's so much wider, peaceful and more uncrowded than Palm Beach (we walked Palm Beach one afternoon and it truly is just a sliver compared to Eagle Beach, and so many people) - easy access from our room out to the beach or wherever we wanted to go on the property instead of riding elevators in a high-rise - the size of the resort is way more intimate and peaceful and the visitors were totally mellow and nice - and the staff, the entire staff, everyone we met, were hands-down the most polite, friendly and welcoming resort staff we've met, ever, in the Caribbean, Hawaii or anywhere else we've been.

I might end up linking part of my hotel review to this post - it turned out longer than I expected. We were just really happy there and I'm sure it comes across - if I can be of more help let me know !

mass
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort - any questions?

Hi

My husband and I and another couple have booked rooms at the Amsterdam Manor for March/April 08.

We booked a standard studio room and i was wondering if you saw them. I am concerned about size and a balconey.

Thank you!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
346 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort - any questions?

Yes, we stayed in a standard studio and were very pleased with it. There are two categories of those standard studio rooms, "B" and "C". From what I understand, only the "C" rooms on the second and third floors have balconies. The "C" rooms are in a three-story tower on the right-most end of the resort when you are looking at it from the beach. No elevators though, just two flights of stairs that lead up to the rooms. We ended up moving to a "B" room for the second half of the trip because I ended up with a fractured ankle and it was easier to not be using crutches on the stairs (a side note, the staff was amazingly accomodating to help us switch rooms - they were just excellent).

Our "B" room was at the other end of the resort - it was a garden-view room with a patio - somewhat smaller and a different layout but it had a vaulted open-beam ceiling with a ceiling fan, which was very nice. The smaller room layout didn't bother us in the least - we missed having the balcony and seeing the ocean but then again we were in a situation where we were just glad they could switch us to a ground floor room.

So, if you want a balcony, definitely request a "C" room on the second or third level of the tower - that is what we will do when we return for sure - there were decent ocean views from our room in that tower - it was also larger than the "B" room and the private balcony was great. If you are unable to get a "C" room then you might be interested in moving up to the superior studio category - those are larger rooms and although they are on the ground floor, they are all ocean-facing and with more private patios from what I understand (not having seen one).

This is a link to my original questions about Amsterdam Manor when we were trying to sort out where to stay... those replies should also be helpful for you.

tripadvisor.com/…9557526

pittsburgh,pa
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort - any questions?

how easy is the beach access?

we have 3 teens...will they be totally bored?

what are the rooms and beds like? will we

need a 2 bedroom unit?

thanks for the info

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
346 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort - any questions?

The beach access is extremely easy - it is right across a very narrow street from the resort - the street is not busy- to us it was almost like it wasn't even there. Tim and I thought it was way easier getting to the beach from Amsterdam Manor compared to high-rise resorts where you have to use the elevator and go through the lobbies or whatever and then all the way out to the beach.

As far as room type selection for you with three teens, ArubaAmy will be able to tell you way more about the two-bedroom suites at Amsterdam since she has stayed in them multiple times - to me though, that sounds like an ideal situation for you.

As far as if your teens will be bored or not, that depends on them - it's hard to say not knowing what they are used to. Are they girls or guys (some of both?) and what do they like to do? I saw quite a few teens at the complimentary internet cafe at AMBR playing video games, and also riding jet skis, playing soccer and football on the beach, riding the bus to the high-rise zone - there is windsurfing and kitesurfing, landsailing and mountain biking - movie theaters...as far as nighttime activities, Aruba is more mellow than Cancun but still definitely not boring.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort - any questions?

I would say that if you're going to stay there with 3 teens then the 2 bedroom is the way to go. Those are all on the 2nd level with a balcony, 2 bedrooms (one with a king size bed and one with twin beds - plus a pull out couch in the living room), and 2 bathrooms.

I posted photos of the room with my trip report from Sept. (most of the room photos are on the 2nd page):

tripadvisor.com/ReviewPhotos-g147249-d150683…

mass
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort - any questions?

Thank you Flightbird. I sent an email to the reservation desk at Amsterdam manor requesting a room with a balcony in the "C" tower. Next year will be our 30th wedding anniversary and we chose to stay at the Amsterdam Manor for 12 days. We were in Aruba around 8 years ago and stayed at the Divi. Nice beach but we weren't crazy about the hotel. Loved Aruba though.

Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad
Recent Conversations