We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DR or Aruba?

Which Oranjestad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WI
11 posts
Save Topic
DR or Aruba?

Which has the better beaches? Dominican Republic or Aruba? I have been told the Doninican has no rocks as compared to Aruba, is this true? thanks.

Brian

new york
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: DR or Aruba?

just came back from DR. It was a beautiful beach, white powdery sand and blue calm waters. I've also been to aruba. The last time I was there the water was kind of murky. But my friend went last summer and said the water was fine. I guess it really depends on the weather. The only negative thing that I would say about DR is that both my kids got sick there (stomach problems). It was only one night each but enough to put a damper on the vacation. The adults were all fine. I think the martinis killed everything!!

Centereach, New York
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DR or Aruba?

Aruba

SHEBOYGAN WIS
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DR or Aruba?

Aruba. it seems people are always getting sick in DR.

Stayed in punta cana a few years back, great beach, resort was beautiful,but that was about it.not nearly as much to do.

my wife was sick for along time after that trip got some parasite she thinks it was from the sushi.

Also had friends that got sick there too..

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DR or Aruba?

I can't say EVERYONE gets sick in DR but 1 out of 2 do. Some say it's the food, some say it's the beer. Not sure what it is but I wouldn't want it even if the beaches are GORGEOUS and the vacation is super cheap.

ARUBA gets my vote too!

Willowick
Level Contributor
163 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DR or Aruba?

Hey Brian, our experiance was the opposite of previos replies. We have been to both places and found the water in DR to be much rougher than Aruba. We do our beach travel in January to break up the Northeast Ohio winter weather. The beaches in DR were beautiful. Hand racked almost daily. Both locations had Pristine white sand. We found the water in Aruba to be crystal clear with small waves. In the DR we found the water to be much more active both times we were there. BarbGeo

6. Re: DR or Aruba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 16:20
Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad
Recent Conversations