We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arube / LaCabala with a toddler?

Hartford, CT
6 posts
Save Topic
Arube / LaCabala with a toddler?

Hi, we are planning a trip to La Cabana in the spring and wanted to get information about accomodations for a toddler. Has anyone stayed there with a baby? Do they have portable cribs you can use/rent? Any idea how much?

Has anyone that traveled with a toddler brought all your necessities with you - diapers, wipes, food, etc. or did you pack enough to get you there and back, but buy stuff for the week?

My son eats most regular foods and I know I will need plenty of snacks for the plane, during the day, etc. But I hate to overpack if I can buy a lot of it there.

I know it would be a bit more expensive to buy diapers there, etc. but if it saves me having to lug it all, it might be worth it.

Also, do you know if La Cabana has any little baby-huts or sun protection things you can rent to use if the baby is napping on the beach or by the pool to keep sun exposure to a minimum?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Minnesota
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arube / LaCabala with a toddler?

Hi, I just returned from LaCabana. Sorry I can't answer most of your questions about what the resort has for rent. If I were you though, I'd bring enough snacks for the child for the plane, but buy the rest there. There are grocery stores nearby that you could take a bus to and the prices weren't that much higher than we were used to as far as groceries. The bus is $2.00 per person round trip.

If your child will fall asleep on a beach chair, then yes, there are plenty of umbella tables to set the chair under - poolside and the beach.

If I were you, I'd bring a few diapers and just buy a pack when you're there. I don't know how many wipes you go through, but a couple travel packs should be easy enough to pack.

The one thing I learned was that when I packed to go home I didn't have enough room because we'd gone shopping and also collected shells. We left Aruba with more than when we came but we didn't plan for it!

Take a walk along the ocean shore north from LaCabana's beach. It's all coral. The waves come up through the holes and there's lots of shells! It's neat.

Chicago
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arube / LaCabala with a toddler?

just got back from laCabana w/ a 11 month, 2yo, 4 yo. Totally family oriented. Baby pools-shaded areas at pool sides. beach is beautiful, and there are huts and trees for shade, but huts are first come. laCabana has a whole shopping mall in their complex, too. We went to local grocery store to get diapers, wipes, and food, because it is cheaper. Just bring enough on plane to get you through and go to LOCAL grocery for rest. I got a crib at La Cabana and brought a well slept on crib sheet and blankie that I did not wash for 3 weeks, for my baby's 'smell'. It was $5.00 per day to rent-kinda rip off. I tied a bedsheet around the outside of the crib so she would not see us if we neeeded to go in her sleeping room. LaCabana is very family oriented-you'll have a great time. I never put my baby in a swimsuit. She always had on long stretchy pants and a white long sleeve shirt. my 2 older had on surf suits that cover arms and legs. Plus they had on 50 sunscreen. One burn can ruin the trip! Some people brought little pop up cabana tents from Right Start to the beach, but we had shade evry time but once.

Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad