We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone read the scathing review on the Divi?

Which Oranjestad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone read the scathing review on the Divi?

Is there anyone who can put my mind to rest. Have I just wasted 5 grand on a holiday that is going to be as hellish as the latest scathing review on the divi?

If you have stayed there and it is as bad (or not) as this review says then I would be grateful if you could let me know. I am seriously got my trainers on ready to run to the travel agents and cancel. Its a long journey from England and its my families 1st trip abroad. We were so excited and now we are worried sick we've made a huge mistake. I really don't know what to do now. HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone read the scathing review on the Divi?

English...Calm down,don't panic!! I have been to the Divi (a few years ago) if you look at the issues raised in the review, none of them are deal breakers.

The room, if it isn't clean then raise the issue with MANAGEMENT and it will be addressed. One of the biggest points is that people moan about issues in reviews but never try and get it sorted on site. You've got to give the hotel a fighting chance to sort it out!!

The beach is massive so find an uncluttred space or walk 200 yards to The Tamarijn's beach which is also part of the all inclusive plan.

I have to say that in my opinion US reviewers tend to have higher expectations about their holidays and are harsher reviewers (my opinion)

If you have done your tripadvisor research you will know what to expect. The htel in my opinion is a 3.5 star resort and you should not expect 5 star trappings.

Aruba is a lovely place with lovely people and very safe.

I have done loads of caribbean all inclusives and the Divi and Tamarijn were on a par with most of them.

Enjoy your holiday, you will love it!!

Edited: 30 May 2011, 10:43
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone read the scathing review on the Divi?

This person was the dreaded "first time poster " - always best ignored

They were not even nice about Aruba - its a great place for a holiday.. (better than the Spainish costas or Canary Islands where most Brits go )

New Jersey
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone read the scathing review on the Divi?

We stay at the Divi year after year.

Our preference is the Vistas rooms.

I've read comments about how unfriendly the staff is. Their job is to make your stay the best it can be, they are not the entertainment. Let them do their job. If asked, they will gladly interact. I have spent alot of time talking with the help.

There is plenty of good food all over the resorts. If it's not to your liking, then pull that silver spoon out of -----------------------.

The Divi is an older property that is improving every year. It is very clean and is nice and quiet. Just what we desire.

If your taste and needs are hoity toity then best to move elsewhere.

Relax and enjoy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
515 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone read the scathing review on the Divi?

Having never stayed at the Divi, I cannot comment on its attributes and detriments. However, it appears to me that this is a case of lack of research.

The Divi is a solid 3.5 AI resort. Friends that have stayed there (on numerous occasions) returned happy and satisfied. If one goes there, however, expecting the Four Seasons, one will be disappointed.

Moreover, as stevenc stated, if there's a specific problem with your room or with the cleanliness of the property, report it to management. In my travel experience, I have consistently found management to be responsive to complaints. It is, after all, in the management’s best interest to address the concerns of guests in order to increase the potential for returning visitors.

The Aruban people are among the most friendly and best educated that I have ever encountered in my Caribbean travels (heck, I wish I could speak five languages as many Arubans do). I really can't remember a single person that was unfriendly or unwilling to assist. Perhaps it was the attitude of the reviewer that inspired the allegedly less than stellar response from the staff.

Aruba is a delightful place to visit. Don't let the opinion of one (first time) poster dampen your excitement. Go and enjoy your holiday!

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone read the scathing review on the Divi?

I echo the previous responses to you SOS, Englishrose. My family has stayed at the Tamarijn three times and we loved both it and the Divi. My husband and I are going back to Aruba in July, but to a different resort (no kids! whee!), and we plan to meet up with English friends at the Tam whom we met on previous trips.

If you are expecting something luxurious, you may be disappointed. We found the properties to be clean and comfortable and we loved the food. On our first trip, we brought my parents. My dad is a retired health commissioner and my mom is probably the cleanest woman in the US and both are very persnickety about food safety and general standards of cleanliness. They LOVED the Tam and the Divi. We found 95% of the employees to be exemplary practitioners of their respective crafts. If they are treated with courtesy, they will reciprocate.

This is a wonderful introduction to international travel for your family: the island is clean and safe, the Arubans are pleasant AND cosmopolitan, the weather is divine and the water will NOT give you the trots.

Go to the Divi with an open mind, an open heart and a smile. And LOTS of sunscreen. And please post a review upon your return!!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone read the scathing review on the Divi?

I had to read that review after you mentioning how bad it was. We have never stayed at the Divi, but have been to the Tam twice and loved it. My girlfriend has been going to the Divi for over 20 years and she is very particular about where she stays.

We've traveled all over, more often to Mexico, and have been in a lot nicer resorts as far as room decor and amenities, but none of them can beat the location, especially the Tam's ocean front rooms.

When I read this person would not be returning to Mexico either, that did it for me. I might have read into something too deeply, but I have a feeling it is a cultural issue rather than room / resort issue that displeases this person.

We love Mexico but if we could pick up one of their newer resorts with all their amenities and drop it on the Divi/Tam beach, that would be our perfect resort.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone read the scathing review on the Divi?

Clearly a case of misguided expectations. Weve done the Tam and AIs in mexico and the Tam / Divi food and drink are gourmet compared to your average budget Mexican AI.

FWIW - you can keep your towel the whole visit - they charge you at the end of the stay if you lose one, but you do NOT have to turn it in everyday at 5pm. They hold the cards overnight.

The one thing that is different at the Tam / Divi vs most other AIs is that there are not people wandering around taking drink orders...you have to get off your rear and go to a nearby bar (never far IMO)... It never bothered me personally, but if you expected it I could see where you would be disappointed.

All in all .... consider the price..... we just booked a week at the Tam for family of four for about $4k. about 2100 of that is airfare..... for the price of a beachfront room, good food (not 5* but still very good) and high quality drinks.....I still think its a tremendous deal.

Go, have fun, you will enjoy it.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone read the scathing review on the Divi?

Last summer, we paid about the same for ten days for three adults and one "child." You can't beat that price with a stick, and we flew out of our local airport. The Tam/Divi represent an excellent AI value.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone read the scathing review on the Divi?

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to my SOS. It has really put our minds to rest. We didn't book it expecting luxury but after reading the 'said' review and a few other non favourable ones lately, I was seriously starting to panic. Thank you sevenCostanza for mentioning the towel situation as we were thinking that we would have to pack our own if that was the case, as we may want to still use them after 5pm!!!! We are counting down the weeks, 8 weeks today!! We are looking forward to meeting lots of new people and maybe make a few new friends. I will definitely be posting a fair and honest review when we get back.

Thanks again. x

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone read the scathing review on the Divi?

Just to clarify the towel situation... I think the towel hut may close at 5 or shortly thereafter.... so if you have a wet one at that time, you have to take care of it overnight....... and exchange it in the morning.

Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad
Recent Conversations