We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at a la carte Tamarijn/Divi

Ontario
Level Contributor
7 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at a la carte Tamarijn/Divi

I had such great results to my last question, I'll try another: I know gratuities are theoretically included, but I do try to give some extra for pleasant, good service. How much and when is the question. Do you tip at each meal at the Tamarijn/Divi a la cartes and how much? Also, my practice has been to tip the room cleaner personally at the end of the week. Is it better to do this daily? What is a common tip? When and how much to the bartenders? Thanks for your advice.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at a la carte Tamarijn/Divi

At the Tam, we tipped daily. Before we left home, I labeled envelopes with each date of our stay, printed HOUSEKEEPING on each and left them on the nightstand. I was thanked every time I saw the women who cleaned our room. Tipping at the end of the stay just thanks the person lucky enough to clean your room on your last day. We DID tip at the bars and restaurants--nowhere close to what the "value" of the meal was, but enough to show appreciation for good service. If the service DIDN'T warrant a gratuity, none was left. We also gave a tip to the concierge and got HUGGED.

I know that all gratuities and tips are included theoretically and this is very much taken to heart by many guests, as well it should be. I don't want to start a war, but I suggest that in leaving tips for bartenders and food service, you be very, very discreet. I was "told off" by a couple of inebriated men at one of the bars; apparently my "tip" ensured better service--my smiling face and pleasant demeanor had NOTHING to do with it. LOL Yikes.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at a la carte Tamarijn/Divi

Thanks--That's good advice about the envelopes. We've usually found that with honest cleaners money left on a nightstand daily just remains there except on the last day. At Grand Pineapple in Antigua last year, we had the same cleaner each day but the last. She made sure to let us know that she'd be gone our last day by knocking on our door the day before. i quickly scrambled together our tip and thanks. As for the a la cartes, the Grand Pineapple was also all inclusive. I left a discrete tip of $10 at the end of each meal for two. This is less, of course, than I would tip at home and I don't know if it was enough--and since it was discrete, I didn't get any feedback from the servers. It's hard to know what is appropriate. I don't want to come off as cheap or as a wealthy North American (which I'm not). As well, I have no meal value guideline or knowledge of what standard tipping is in Aruba. I'd like to get further advice. Thanks again

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at a la carte Tamarijn/Divi

I will send you a PM, if you don't mind!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
247 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at a la carte Tamarijn/Divi

We have been to the Grand Pineapple in Antigua & the Tam & as from the UK tipping we use the envelope method at the end of our stay as well.At the Tam we were lucky to have they same cleaner most of our stay i saw her in person to give her the tip at the end,we left one for the Kitchen & waiting staff in the Buffet,we left $5 to $10 at Al la Cartes each time we used them dependant on service.The bartenders(Jean Pierre & Harold)tended to get more as they did keep me supplied in Balashi :) looking forward to returning this year as well.Very hard to know what to tip as they all do a great job to make your stay a great one(in parts of Austria they have money boxes on reception & any tips that are put in it are shared with all the staff as there are many behind the scenes you never see).

Ontario
Level Contributor
7 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at a la carte Tamarijn/Divi

I assume PM is a personal message? That would be fine Lori12309--do I need to do something to enable this? Thanks, UKRemus. I agree, it's difficult to know what's best:) I'd like to hear more opinions. Lori12309's experience at the bar sounds unpleasant. Were you told off for tipping? I would think the bartenders wouldn't have appreciated that. Our last trip to Cuba entailed almost constant subtle demands for tips, and considering the state of things for the Cuban people, I didn't mind the money, but, at the same time, the tips seemed to be expected rather than appreciated.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,562 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at a la carte Tamarijn/Divi

You don't need to enable anything to receive a PM; a black sentence at the top of your log-in page will notify you that you have a private message. Just click on it!

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at a la carte Tamarijn/Divi

While staying at the Divi we tip the maid each day...randomly tip the bar tenders and tip for personal service at the eating areas....

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at a la carte Tamarijn/Divi

We tipped somewhere between $5 and $10 for the sit down dinners, depending on the service (usually closer to 10).

Tip the bartenders regularly - I think last time I was very generous the first night and was very well treated the whole week.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at a la carte Tamarijn/Divi

Thanks for the advice. It seems that most of those who replied are in the same range. I wonder if those who disagree (either thinking we should tip more or not tip at all) are hesitant to express their opinions. I also wonder what tipping practice is at restaurants which are not on an all-inclusive plan. Is the standard tip in Aruba 10, 15 or 20%?

Thanks again

CT
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at a la carte Tamarijn/Divi

we will tip the ala carte restaurants as needed...

with the bartenders, we'll give them a buck or two a round (or at least we try to, but sometimes will run out of ones after a long day on the beach lol). Then will slip certain bartenders a little extra that were better than average as needed. Housekeeping gets my tip daily, as i feel it may 'help' with the quality of the room clean, or at least a little extra attention during our stay. :)

Some restaurants have a service charge / tip built in. So watch out for that. even when there is a 15% servicecharge built in, we usually throw some more on the top of that (maybe another 5-10%)

as far as restaurants without servicecharge, i would hope the norm is 15-20%

Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad