We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI, or not AI - That is the question!?

Madison
2 posts
Save Topic
AI, or not AI - That is the question!?

Planning a trip to the Rennaissance and trying to gauge the worthiness of the AI. From other reviews it sounds like the hotel is near the marketplace with endless options. For a guy who plans to sit on the beach, bring my insulated drinking cup and (potentially)prego wife, is it worth it?

I guess I'm looking for costs and if they offer levels of AI such as eat and drinks, only drinks, etc.

Thx for the advice!

Wisco

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI, or not AI - That is the question!?

It depends on what the price differences are for starters. Do you drink a lot? Does your wife? Even sodas can add up.I am always thirsty so I am always drinking something. I find if you drink beer or wine, bringing a cooler is not bad, but if you drink mixed drinks, it's a pain, especially because you need ice for the drinks and so on. If you drink water, you can always just drink tap water which is very good.

There are many places to eat in town at all different prices. Depending on the AI price, you could always also eat off property.

Level Contributor
151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI, or not AI - That is the question!?

We ways do AI at renaissance. It works out to be about 200 bucks per person extra for the week. They have 5 or so restaurants - a few of them themed daily so you never tire of the food... Unless you are some fine food critic.

A lot of people on this forum are against doing AI cause they like to go and hit all the top rated places on the island, but seriously if you don't do AI and go to one of the restaurants on site of the Renaissace don't be surprised to see a 100 dollar bill for dinner for two.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI, or not AI - That is the question!?

Hi

We never do A.I.

Too many restaurants (fine dining and casual and very casual).

We buy our booze ,soft coolers and if we want to order a drink, we wait for happy hours at resorts and many beach bars and clubs.

To each their own

Have a great time !!!!

CT
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AI, or not AI - That is the question!?

Have i seen this question before? lol

It all depends on your personal preference. Some ppl are die hard AI fans... some people go AI because the resort they love, is only AI. Some people like to spend their money all up front... etc etc.

there are great restaurants... Some of the best. So if you DO go ai, make sure you get off resort a couple times (at least a lunch and dinner) and eat at some other places!

Top right corner of this page for more info.

No wrong choice here really... My opinion, if if were staying at the Renaissance... Dont go Ai. However, if you can get it on the cheap, i may do it.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AI, or not AI - That is the question!?

I like the Divi so we go AI. I have been to Aruba twice where we did not go AI. Once we stayed at the Manchebo. it was fine. Room was fine. But buying drinks at the bar was expensive and so we were buying cases of Balashi and keeping them cold in the room's fridge and bringing them out to the beach. It was fine, but I'd rather drink from the bar without worrying about cost. I liked going to to great restaurants at night.

The other time we rented a room at the Aruba Beach Club. Again, buying beer at the grocery store and bringing it to the beach.

I guess if money were no object I would not go AI. But since it is, I like going to the Divi and not worrying about how much I am spending.

My hotel this time is like $2100 for a week. The cheapest room at the Bucuti is showing up at $308/night. So I can go AI at the Divi or non AI at the Bucuti for the same price. I realize the Bucuti is nicer, but I really only care about having a bed to sleep in and I need the beach to be steps from my room. And the Divi does that for me!

When we arent going AI my husband tends to want to do a few nights of cheaper dinners too. And I like having a real meal out. So AI is a good choice for us until we hit the lottery :)

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
361 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AI, or not AI - That is the question!?

We never do AI because of the variety of restaurants, but you are staying downtown where you might have fewer choices. I guess it would depend on the price difference. Prices have gone up in Aruba in the last few years, so things are not "cheap". If you folks are big eaters and drinkers, you might go AI, otherwise, not. The nice part of AI for you two is that you can eat on premises and not have to travel to eat, although there are a few restaurants within walking distance for you. I think a $200 price difference might make it worth going AI. Hope that helps a little.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AI, or not AI - That is the question!?

We also love the Divi, but we also love non AI. We split our vacation up between the 2. But we do stay 2 weeks. Love AI, just laying around all day, not having to leave the Beach. Great way for relaxing vacaton. Then the next week we get to try all the great places to eat.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
941 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AI, or not AI - That is the question!?

Ideally, splitting your vacation between an AI and a non-AI would be the best. We always go to Bucuti for the entire time and dine all around. But, next trip I believe we may try splitting it. Not having to leave the resort for meals sound good. A week at Bucuti and a week at maybe the Divi would work.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AI, or not AI - That is the question!?

20Aruba, that is how we split it. Love just laying around first week then trying all the great places to eat, and the plus is it is all on the same (kinda) strech of beach.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
521 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AI, or not AI - That is the question!?

There are destinations where I prefer AI, but not Aruba. Simply too many outstanding restaurants, at every price point, to enjoy.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad