We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entertainment Programme at Tam/Divi

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Entertainment Programme at Tam/Divi

I am looking at the Tam for a last minute break.

Travelling with Husband and Son.

I do not speak during the day but relax, read, paddle, listen to the waves........

Husband is happy if he has others to chat to, so should be fine.

My son is an active sportsman, swims, plays football, waterpolo, volleyball and basically cant sit still for longer than five minutes.

Can anyone tell me some more about the activity programme at the Tam/ Divi, I know they have the climbing wall and various other things advertised, are these things organised,? Will they let him join in? Is there any sort of Teen meeting place? How do you find out what is happening?

We have been going to Dreams resorts for last few years which have lots laid on for older kids so have been spoilt but so far the Tam/Divi looks good, this is a major point for us though. If he is happy then we all are!!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entertainment Programme at Tam/Divi

First and foremost, be sure to do your homework before you go and know what to expect, otherwise I fear you will be writing one of those 'this place is horrible' reviews (like the latest) when you return. The Tam is not a luxury 5 star place..... its much more low key and simple.

While we have never been to a Dreams - we have looked and considered them. The Tamarijn is definitely NOT a Dreams resort by any means. You will not have a stocked fridge... there are no pool or beach waiters, the pool is not nearly as extravagant or fancy as what you would typically find at a Dreams. I find the food to be pretty good at the Tam compared to the cheaper AI's we have been to in mexico, but I suspect it might not be as good as what you have had at Dreams. I assume cost wise, dreams would be a lot more than the Tam.

Ok so that being said... I think YOU would love the beach at the Tam / Divi. It's never crowded, you will have no problem finding a quiet place to chill, read, etc. Your husband will find plenty of people around the bars to chat with.... the crowd tends to be friendly, with a decent mix of americans, brits and dutch plus a few locals.

The daytime activities are somewhat sparse.... they do some wind surfing in the mornings, bingo, tshirt tie-dying in the afternoon, etc. It is pretty low key for the most part. To be honest I have never seen anyone using the climbing wall.... We are planning to bring our own volleyball this time in hopes of getting more beach games going (theres a court between the Divi and the Tam.) There are various night time activities: bands, karaoke, etc.... usually fairly decent.

No offiical meeting spot for teens - they just find each other and hang around the pool or by the billiard tables. I've seen some beach football games spring up as well. I do think they did a dance one night for teens last summer - but it was the night we were leaving and missed it.

My best guess is that - in comparison - your son may be let down compared to Dreams - but if he is an outgoing sort I am sure he would manage to enjoy himself once he got connected. Our kids (now 16/13) love the Tamarijn and can't wait to go back in a few weeks for our 3rd visit... they love the endless food / drink and meeting new friends from all over.

You could always do some excurions off the resort - he would love the rope swing on the jolly pirates. We are considering an ATV tour this year... others love the island jeep tours.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 15:45
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entertainment Programme at Tam/Divi

Also meant to add: one thing your son will likely appreciate is not having to put on pants for dinner - aruba in general and the tam is very casual - a decent pair of shorts and a nicer shirt is all that is required in any of the restaurants. I always wear a polo or short sleeve collared shirt of some sort, but the kids have gotten away with a nicer t-shirt on some nights....

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entertainment Programme at Tam/Divi

Well put seven....the Divi/Tam does what it does very well but it is not Dreams nor does it try to be....will be there the first week of August and can't wait to relax on their great beach

Btw, just got a shipment of Arther Bryant's sauce......none better

Edited: 27 June 2012, 16:30
Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entertainment Programme at Tam/Divi

:) Just read that one!!

I think the number of repeat guests reviewing the place gives you the best impression of how good the Tam is.

Thanks for a brilliant reply, very informative.

Son is very outgoing and will start a game of football on the beach, its just a little easier when there is an entertainment team to get things going.

Husband would really appreciate the shorts at dinner, he usually rushes off to change straight afterwards.

Coming from the UK, The price is actually the same as we have paid for Dreams before, but usually we book very early to get the best deals, and I know that prices have gone up a lot in the last couple of years. Whilst I do love waiter service on the beach, I am capable of getting up occasionally and as long as there isn't big queues for everything don't mind doing so. We stayed at a place in St Lucia last year where we queued for everything and that did get a bit wearing over the two weeks.

Dreams food was pretty good in the Al La Cartes and the fact that you didn't have to book in advance gives them a massive advantage, not very good at planning ahead on holiday, lucky to remember what day it is! I don't know why more hotels can't manage it, its a great system.

But you have to get out and see a bit more of the world don't you. The Tam sounds lovely, I like laid back, Thanks for making the effort to write such a good reply.

Arthur Bryants sauce?????

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entertainment Programme at Tam/Divi

Hmmm Bryants.... thats one bbq sauce that is definitely an acquired taste... (which I have most definitely acquired!!!).

laryco we will be there 7/30 for a week... we will have to meet up for a balashi.... or a brown lady, or maybe a couple of each!!!!!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entertainment Programme at Tam/Divi

Arthur Bryants is a famous bbq restaurant in my home town of Kansas City. Has nothing to do with Aruba :)

You didn't say how old your son was, but it sounds like he would get on just fine. Lots of kids in the summer time, and lots of Brits, so he will feel right at home.

Duncan it sounds like you have an accurate picture of the Tamarijn.... there are plenty of bars scattered about ... the bunker bar at the tam is usually not overly crowded - think the same with the sandpiper at the divi... the pizza per tutti bar at lunch can be a bit hectic and might take a few minutes to get a frozen drink (though I can usually finagle a draft beer really fast if I catch them pouring one for someone else)... its never a major ordeal, especially if you have been pleasant with the bartenders .... they really do not like the folks who have a chip on their shoulder and think they should get their drink faster than anyone else and seem unappreciative.

When you see how expansive and uncrowded the beach is - you will understand why beach waiters frankly wouldn't be realistic. The pool is bordered by two bars, so it also kind of defeats the purpose of pool waiters.

The only other thing you have to wait on is booking the sit down restaurants in the morning... the line looks long but moves fast...or you can go later if you are really flexible with times (i.e. dont mind eating late in the evening)... just send your husband to do that - he can bide the time chatting with the folks in line!

Only other thing I can think to mention is to expect the rooms to be on the basic side, nothing overly extravagant and not overly roomy. But the AC works very well and the beds are about the most comfortable I've ever had in a hotel anywhere. We spend little to no time in the room.... and when you step out onto your patio and the ocean is RIGHT THERE, who cares.

Feel free to PM me with more questions.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
249 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entertainment Programme at Tam/Divi

Hi Duncan0808

We are going back to the Tam for our 2nd trip end of Aug,love the chilled out feel of this resort hence going back again.The wife likes her reading and chilling i do all the talking normally with a Balashi nearby as for food the wife can be fussy but never had an issue and never felt wanting.

Most has been said by SevenCostanza(loved sandpiper for lunch)& Red Parrot for the snails at Dinner(hope SevenCostanza don't drink all the Balashi :)).

Supermarkets just over the way if you want to stock you fridge up,but i never felt the need just a short walk to the bars.

Think the climbing wall was done on certain day's not every day,think your son should be fine but like most things it just depends on the crowd of people you get at resort which you can never tell :(

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entertainment Programme at Tam/Divi

Balashi and Brownladies, two of my favorite drinks....I will be swimming by the Tam and stopping for a Balashi to cut the salt before the swim back :)...will be glad to join you...

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Entertainment Programme at Tam/Divi

laryco glad someone can work in some excercise on vacation...I always say I am going to .... and then fail.... this time...I swear I am running a cpl miles at least a few days.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entertainment Programme at Tam/Divi

Laryco and Seven, we'll be in Aruba until August 1, sadly not at the Tam, but at the Radisson. We plan to visit British friends there sometime in the last week of July. I would love to meet you both.

<<I have Arthur Bryant's sauce in my pantry.>>

Duncan, we are meeting friends from Scunthorpe sometime that week. They have two teenage daughters, one of whom just carried the Olympic torch today. Wanna join us?

Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad