We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tam for Family

Chicago
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tam for Family

I'm planning a vacation for my family in June 2013 and would like to have a 2nd destination in case Punta Cana does not work out (airfares.)

We are family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 children (10 and 6 years old). We like a resort with nice beach, good food and fun atmostphere. I read many reviews and it appears that Tam is more family-oriented than Divi. Could you please share your experience/ inputs on the following:

1. What's your experience when staying at Tam and having to take a shuttle to Divi to eat? How the dining reservation system works?

2. We love to sip a cup of coffee and enjoy the breeze on the balcony in the evening when our kids are off to bed. Can we get coffee delivered to our room? Or is there a place we can go and get the coffee in the evening?

3. How the beach at Tam compare to Divi's?

Thanks for your inputs.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
3,011 Reviews
Aruba
Fred Restaurant
££££, International, European
Carte Blanche Restaurant
££££, European, International
L.G. Smith's Steak & Chop House
££££, American, Steakhouse
Chicopee, Mass
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tam for Family

We stay at Divi but also go back and forth to Tam during our stay. The Tam is more for familys with children I believe. However, IMO the Divi has the nicer beach. As far as the shuttle to Divi to eat it is pretty easy you just catch it outside your front lobby, we have also walked back and forth it is only a 7-10 min. walk. The Tam does not have balconies, The Divi does, but you could have your coffee on your patio at the TAM. I am assuming it is like the Divi where there is a coffee machine you can use 24/7 not far from the restaurants. I hope you enjoy your stay wherever you decide to go, hopefully you will choose ARUBA.

Mentioned in this post
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
3,011 Reviews
Aruba
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tam for Family

The Tam is a perfect place for families with kids the ages of yours. The beach is wonderful at both resorts and the walk is nothing at all to be concerned about.

Making dinner reservations is easy, especially if you're flexible about times. With the Pizza Per Tutti operating from late morning until very late evening, you could certainly make later dinner reservations if your kids took the edge off their hunger in the late afternoon. Since only one of the a la carte restaurants is located at the Divi, you don't necessarily even have to go there to get a meal, although the buffet is a little bit "nicer" than the Tam's.

Sadly, there is no room service, but I am happy to tell you that the Tam does INDEED have balconies. We always preferred a ground floor room for ease of access to the beach, but you could certainly enjoy a cuppa anything from a second floor room. Lots of British visitors are unhappy because the rooms lack "kettles" or tea-making facilities, but there is a 24-hour self-service station at the Tam.

If you choose the Tam, I hope you love it as much as our family did.

Mentioned in this post
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
3,011 Reviews
Aruba
Chicago
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tam for Family

Thank you both for taking the time to respond to my post.

I really appreciate the information you shared. it's very helpful.

Happy Travels!

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tam for Family

And thank YOU for responding to the advice offered.

I get irritated when someone takes the trouble to answer a question for someone---in great detail, and then BAM. The OP never responds with thanks or to say "gosh, we tried it and your advice stank. Go p** up a rope."

I've gotten so much good advice from the Aruba forum, and from the England and Bermuda forums and I have tried to express my appreciation.

Good manners dictate acknowledgment.

(I'll shut up now.)

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tam for Family

lori get off your soapbox :) i stop visiting the forum and here you are getting snarkey on me.

10 & 6 are great ages for the Tam...Tam is not likely be as posh as some of the better stuff in Punta Cana, but its a perfect atmosphere to chill and let the kids enjoy themselves and make new friends. and the entire island is safe to explore, unlike the DR.

if coffee on the balcony is a huge deal, id recommend bringing your own method of making a small pot, or maybe hit up the buffet for a carafe to go during dinner....

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tam for Family

LOL. Snarky? MOI??!

I really think the Tam is an ideal place for families with kids of all ages---(heck, we dropped ours off there from the Radisson this summer!), and a great place for people who prefer the convenience and ease of all-inclusive.

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tam for Family

Just jumping in, we are planning to visit the tam, can anyone tell me do they have any entertainment in the evening?

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tam for Family

Yes, there is evening entertainment--some fabulous and fun, some of the "Let's put on a show!" variety. We have enjoyed water shows, karaoke, the Limbo Guy, among other offerings. If you are expecting Las Vegas-caliber shows, you will be disappointed. We also enjoyed strolling down the beach to see what the Divi had on offer.

Mentioned in this post
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
3,011 Reviews
Aruba
Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tam for Family

Thanks for that, hubby was concerned he would be bored not expecting high standards just something to watch, hopefully will be tired out from all the hard work of sun bathing to be too bothered .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tam for Family

When we stayed at the Tam with our kids last year we enjoyed the evenings on our patio after they went to sleep, but we got drinks from the bar. However, coffee is available if you want it. One of you will have to go and get it but it's not a big deal. Also, I would suggest staying in the 1300 or 1400 building so you are close to the restaurants and can easily go back and forth from your room. We went over to the Divi frequently as we preferred the Red Parrot for dinner and taking the shuttle is very simple. We also walked over ( another reason the 1300 building is a good choice). Also, there are balconies if you choose the 2nd floor rooms. We preferred the first floor as the beach was literally right outside our door.

Regarding the beach, the Divi beach was wider but the beach at the Tam was still beautiful and again, it is literally right outside the door!

Edited: 30 December 2012, 04:35
Mentioned in this post
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
3,011 Reviews
Aruba
Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad