We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Avis Car rental

Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid Avis Car rental

When we arrived-They did not have our reserved 12 passenger van or even a mini van available.

I had called directly a week before to confirm our reservation.

Manager was rude and unapologetic . 1 1/2 hours later after traveling all day and with a toddler and 4 other children we ended up having to rent 2 cars from another company costing us $850 for the week. Will never use Avis again-Really bad 1st impressions. Rest of the stay went well except our rental house was broken into while at Dinner. Security system was ripped out, window broke and safe stolen. Do not take or leave valuables behind.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid Avis Car rental

Sorry - I could not resist.....actually a very serious issue.

New England
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid Avis Car rental

Thank you for your post. It's an eye opener on rentals and a good reminder to us all. Hopefully you did not loose alot

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid Avis Car rental

was the car decent? we have a reservation for next week. Michael. k2vet@comcast.net

Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid Avis Car rental

Similar problem

Made a reservation with Avis via Travelocity. Received confirmations from both Travelocity and Avis. Went to the Tropicana Resort to pick-up the rental car but no one was there. Only a telephone for Avis. Tried calling multiple times with no answer. The Tropicana hotel desk gave me the cell phone of the Avis person. No answer even though I called multiple time. No returned call.

Walked across the street to an Avis desk at the La Cabana. The agent was nice but said "we are oversold and don't have any cars" but you have to talk to the woman who does the Tropicana. Problem is she would not answer her phone or return calls. Went to the main office at the Mill resort. The sign said open but no one was there. My guess is that the had no cars but would not fess up to it or tell me what was going on. The island was completely sold out of cars and the Avis people were hiding. Not very professional? Finally my niece who lives in Aruba pulled some strings and got me a beater Yaris from Optima located at the Toyota dealer near the airport. The people at Optima were nice and helpful.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid Avis Car rental

Thanks for the warning, I was going to book with them but will use someone else instead. I feel really bad for you! I had a similar bad experience with Thrifty at Dublin Airport last fall (without getting into the details). They should be avoided also.

New York
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid Avis Car rental

sorry to hear about your misfortunes...I'm headed to Aruba in 2 weeks, where was your rental house???

7. Re: Avoid Avis Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2016, 06:17