We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Aruba

Which Oranjestad hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Aruba

What's the traffic like in Aruba. Any problem spots to stay away from.

I would like to rent a car to tour the island but I don't want the stress

involved if it is hectic.

Thanks

2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Aruba

Aruba is the best place to drive in! Very easy! A little traffic in the "downtown" area but nothing to speak of if you are from a real city! It is the only island where I will drive, no cliffs to drive off of! I really would not be concerned if you are a regular driver! They have traffic circles but they are easy to drive around.

Bloomsburg, PA
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Aruba

I agree. We just returned from Aruba and rented a car for several days. There was some road construction in town, but driving was not stressful at all, and we drove all over the island. Don't hesitate to rent a car there.

Clifton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
789 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Aruba

The small cars make you feel like you are driving a go-cart!!! Very easy. Just take note of the signs. Explanations are in all the local visitors books.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Aruba

Also be aware that a right turn on a red light is not legal in Aruba.

Akron, OH
Level Contributor
139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Aruba

It's definitely worth renting a car, imo. Check out the caves on the rough side of the island, and try to make a trip to Baby Beach. The little cars DO zip around, and I didn't find the roads to be well-marked with signs letting you know where you car all the time, but we managed and were glad that we did once we got to explore beyond the beaches near the hotels. We just had to adjust our attitudes a little and head in the right direction-- the island is small enough that we always got where we wanted to go eventually. We just needed to be on "island time!"

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Aruba

I'm sitting here looking at a map I got out of one of the books they have in the Red and white Little Switzerland bags at the airport. Make sure you get one. It has the road rules and the signs which tells you what our signs do here in the US. Make sure you get a map with road rules on it. Wish I could remember which book I got this out of but it has the beaches, the hotels, the streets downtown and it is a large map.

Amy is right. No turn on RED. Ticket time if you do. LOL

Haverhill, MA
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Aruba

I would definetely recommend renting a car. Did it both times we were there. Can see everything and come and go at your leisure. Driving is easy. The island is only 20 miles long so you cannot get too lost. Traffic is not bad except in downtown gets a little held up but just for a few minutes. We like to explore so the first time we rented a jeep and just took it wherever....lots of back roads...no roads...on the beach. Saw the whole island in a day. It is like driving back home, no different.

Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
13 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Aruba

Hi

We always rent a car in Aruba. The only busy spot would be down town, and even that isn't bad compared to Boston traffic LOL.

The car rental companies provide you with road maps, but some of the smaller roads are clearly marked. However, with this island only being 16 miles by 7 miles, it is hard to get lost. We drove our car through the state park and stopped in a nice secluded area for a picnic, it was great! You also get to see alot more of the island and experience it at your own pace.

Everyone is so courteous! Have fun.

zambukamum

Holbrook, MA

Burntisland, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Aruba

what side of the road do you drive on in Aruba? same as in America or UK??

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Aruba

Same as the U.S.

Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad