We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent Snorking Equip or Bring With

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rent Snorking Equip or Bring With

I'm debating on whether to rent snorking equipment when we get to Aruba or purchase it here and bring it with us. The downside is the extra room it will take to pack. Any suggestions/recommentations?

Thanks,Elizabeth

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent Snorking Equip or Bring With

We went snorkeling every day we were in Aruba. We were staying at the Tamarijn All Inclusive, so we didn't have to pay to rent the snorkel equipment--we just checked it out from the Sports Center. However, a sign at the Sports Center indicated that it would cost up to $15 per day to rent snorkel equipment if you were not staying at the Tam. I don't know what other places charge (or how easy it is to find snorkel equipment to rent), but I think that if you have the space AND if you plan to snorkel more than two days, it would be cost-effective to buy equipment before you leave and take it with you.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent Snorking Equip or Bring With

It depends on how often you plan to snorkel. If every day, it might be financially beneficial. If you were planning to go once or twice, I'd rent it and save the room in my bags.

Happy snorkling! :-)

Riverhead, New York
Level Contributor
336 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent Snorking Equip or Bring With

I was wondering the same thing...if you have a BJs nearby, they have a decent snorkel/fin set in a mesh bag for $39.00. IF you can wait until after June 3rd, you can also use a coupon for it (Idon't recall how much the coupon was for, but I remember thinking that I'd already be in Aruba when it became effective).

I'm also considering buying a floating lounge that hooks to the other at BJs. It folds down to nothing - and we'll have a vehicle for the week - I figured throw it in there and we can use it at any beach!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
172 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent Snorking Equip or Bring With

If you are going to have a car, definitely take your own snorkel equipment. We bought ours in May 2005 and will be using it for the third time this summer in Cozumel. We snorkeled everyday in Aruba and saw something new/different each time.

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent Snorking Equip or Bring With

Best to buy your masks as all faces are different and masks are different, so by one they fits your face as that cuts out the leakage!

This is for the frequent snorkler!

NJ
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent Snorking Equip or Bring With

No nice way to say this, but you never know where that snorkel has been. At least bring your own snorkel!

phil
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent Snorking Equip or Bring With

I was debating the same question. Five of us are going in June and because there are so many diving/snorkeling sites readily accessible from the shore, I decided to order 3 sets of equipment from Amazon with free shipping. (They're by US Divers and include mask/snorkel/fins for $30). The three kids will be diving as well, so when they dive, my husband and I can try a little snorkeling, or the three kids can check out the shore snorkel locations if they get bored hanging around the pool/beach. For the cost of the three sets, we can leave them in Aruba if we run out of luggage room for the trip home

Sin City
Level Contributor
899 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent Snorking Equip or Bring With

Just think of how many people have had the snorkel in their mouth before you. That should stop the thought of renting snokel gear.

Riverhead, New York
Level Contributor
336 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent Snorking Equip or Bring With

In the past, whenever I've rented snorkel gear, the snorkel itself has been brand new and kind of like a "souvenir."

It usually has the place name or the like printed on it...in effect, just the mask & fins are the rental, the snorkel is a keeper. I have a drawer full of these.

May or may not be that way on Aruba, though.

At $15.00 per day though, like one of the previous posters mentioned, if you don't have enough room to bring it home - leave it behind!

I had posted previously inquiring about any sort of thrift shop or consignment shop for these kinds of items - seems that there must be lots of this kind of thing left behind - I wouldn't mind picking up some stuff like beach chairs, fins and mask, using it for the week and leaving it with the shop. Anyone know???

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent Snorking Equip or Bring With

Some Aruban should pick up on this type of business if there is not one!

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach