We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better snorkeling excursions?

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenwich...
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Better snorkeling excursions?

Which snorkeling excursion is better to do while in Aruba...the Palm Pleasure or Jolly pirate? Also does anyone know if you need to be "certified" or trained to 'snuba'?

We are also planning to do the ATVs...worth it??? and what are the prices??

Any help is appreciated!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better snorkeling excursions?

I've heard great reviews about Octopus and Tranquilo.

No certification necessary to Snuba. They'll instruct you prior to your 'dive'.

We didn't do the ATV - but saw lots of people who did while we were on our horseback riding excursion. Some loved it - some were feeling like it was a little too bumpy, dirty, and hot. I believe you'll find prices to be about $60-$70/pp with one driver per ATV. If you have two people on one, maybe around $100.

Hope this helps.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
398 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better snorkeling excursions?

We did the south side sail and drift snorkel with Capt. Anthony of the Tranquillo. We have been wanting to sail with Tranqullo for the last 5 trips. We went this time and glad we did, it was well worth the price and the food was excellent. The sail alone was worth the price. He runs a great ship! We have been on the pelican and the palm pleasure. Both of them had at least 50 people on board. The Tranquillo sailed to a spot that Capt Anthony's father and family had always sailed too and other ships do not go to that spot. Plus the sail is limited to a max of about 16 people. Just something to think about.

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better snorkeling excursions?

We went on both the tranquilo with Capt. Anthony and the Octopus with Jethro and first mate Jeff. Both trips were fun and both not too many people. I have also been on DePalm for their sunset cruise but not snorkeling. Lots of people. I have seen them boarding for snorkeling and it seems pretty crowded but it looks like fun as well. All in what you want.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Better snorkeling excursions?

We chose to do the Octopus for snorkeling upon reading reviews on this website. It was a half day. It was private. We had to call directly to book it. Our hotel only dealt with the other popular snorkel trips and they said they have up to 100 ppl on board. We had 10. I found that to be most helpful as the first stop was at the shipwreck and was extremely choppy, wavy and kinda scary to swim in. Octopus also takes you there first before the larger tours get there, so you have the area to yourselves. There was on scuba diver group that showed up and it was kinda cool to look underwater and see the scuba ppl diving deep down into the shipwreck. Okay, so I am babbling now......

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better snorkeling excursions?

Captain Anthony and Tranquilo get my vote for the best bang for the buck. AND the best snorkeling. Oh and did I mention his Mom's Dutch Split Pea Soup?

For something "different" we are going to try Jolly Pirates probably next summer. Have heard ONLY good things. I would tend to stay away from the cattle boats such as De Palm, Red Sail and Pelican.

No certification needed for SNUBA. They teach you what you need to know on the spot.

Riverdale, New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Better snorkeling excursions?

love the octopus. we take 2 trips when we go for 2 weeks. one am and one pm. jethro and jeff are great. you can;t go wrong. it's in front of the hoilday inn.

Des Moines Iowa
Level Contributor
161 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better snorkeling excursions?

Can you guys tell me if these excursions are on catamarans or single-hull sailing vessels? I learned the hard way that single-hull is not for me.....

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Better snorkeling excursions?

I did the Octopus - it was a large sailboat. You can check Octopus and Tranquilo's websites for details:

http://www.octopusaruba.com

http://www.tranquiloaruba.com

Riverdale, New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Better snorkeling excursions?

octopus is a catamaran

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better snorkeling excursions?

Tranquilo is a single hull 43-foot sailboat.

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach