We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madame Janettes

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Madame Janettes

Has anyone eaten at this resturant recently. We are staying at the Riu in November and we have picked MJ's as a place to dine at one night as opposed to staying at the AI.

I've heard good things about the place but I don't want to be disappointed.

Last year when we ventured off site we went to the Screaming Eagle and it was excellent.

Lake Orion, Michigan
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Madame Janettes

You cannot go wrong at MJ's. Always one of the top 3 restaurants year over year on the island. Make reservations, they have pretty limited hours!

Level Contributor
524 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madame Janettes

We were there about two weeks ago. Many people rave about it, but our experience was just okay. The ambiance is nice, but we had flies attacking us most of the meal. The food was good, but not great.

In retrospect, maybe going after sundown would have avoided the fly problem.

Hamilton Sq, NJ
Level Contributor
737 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madame Janettes

When I read bad reviews(the few) about MJ's, I wonder if it could just be a bad single experience. We love this place, it is our favorite as it is many others. We do go after sundown, and have never had a fly problem. When eating outdoors, you are going to have this issue to some extent. All outdoor restaurants have mosquito issues also, we travel with off.

The food is to die for, IMHO, the pork cordon blue, which I get every year could feed 4 people and is just awesome. Last year I tried the Almond Crusted Grouper, I explained to our server that I did not like spinach(it has a spinach cream sauce on top of it). She told me they would put it on the side. When my meal came, the sauce was on top. The grouper was incredible, but I didn't care for the sauce. When she saw my plate, she immediately wanted to take it back and have a new dish made. I said I would try it. I ate the fish that didn't have sauce on it. There was still left overs to take home, the portion is huge. She was so upset, she comped our drinks, which really wasn't necessary as I ate a good portion of the fish. When I'm there in Nov, I'll ask for the Hollandase sauce on the side, it was excellant. DH always has their filet and raves about it.

I've had very bad bad meals at places people rave about, Papiamento's for one. So it really depends on what you like personally. We love this place. Just made 2 reservations for Nov. when we are there.

Nutley, New Jersey
Level Contributor
323 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madame Janettes

A nice touch that is rarely mentioned is the live entertainment provided, usually a husband/wife team that performs soft rock and ballads(We see people giving them requests as well) and it really adds a special feel to the evening.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Madame Janettes

They didn't know how to play Rocky Top, so I never went back! ;}

They went 0 for 2 with me on PQS (price-quality-service) about five trips ago, so perhaps I should give them another try.

But gosh there are so many quality restaurants -- and more added all the time -- and so little time, I admit to not taking the chance of being disappointed again.

However, if you look at the reviews and the gushing comments of the destination experts, MJs receives about a 90+ approval rating. Worth a try once I guess.

Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madame Janettes

Our last two dining experiences at Madame Janette were less than stellar (you can read my restaurant review post for details, if you'd like). Any restaurant can have an off night, but in our case it was two. We will continue to recommend this restaurant, but at this point, I am cautiously optimistic about the quality of future meals there.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Madame Janettes

I'm on the "Madame Janettes is my favorite restaurant" side. Been about 8-9 times now and they've all been outstanding. There are many great restaurants on the island but this is the only one I make sure I go to on each and every visit.

Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madame Janettes

Loved it. One of the best places I have ever had a meal at.

The Dutch Tenderloin is phenominal, and the Goulash is some of the best I have ever had.

Riverdale, New...
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Madame Janettes

i'm a vegetarian and my meal was fabulous!

Level Contributor
722 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madame Janettes

I guess its true that eveyone has there own opinion/...we have been to MJ's twice and did not like it either time....food was just ok

really didnt like eating on the deck ( i guess you'd call it that...very crowded tables, pratically ontop of one another....very hot with no breeze....not what I expected first time....gave benefit of the doubt tried it second time...just ok again...so many other nice restaurnts...

loved sunset grille and radisson also pago pago at Westin was really good....LG CHopp good also

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor