We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft at the Riu Palace?

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, ON
10 posts
Save Topic
Theft at the Riu Palace?

I've seen a number of reviews on this site that talk about thefts at the Riu (some right out of the room safe), and it has me worried.

Any first hand experience from people who have been there are perhaps talked to guests who've had things taken or been robbed yourself (I hope not)?

Have family travelling there in early Feb, and want to give any possible suggestions to reduce the risk if it exists.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft at the Riu Palace?

I have a friend who spends a few months a year in a house she owns in Aruba and this is what she told me. It appears that the thefts from the Rui are from a former employee, who has been identified but not yet caught. (This is "good" news for the rest of the hotels as it is not a serial robber who is just jumping from hotel to hotel.) But it also seems like the Rui management is doing a terrible job with the whole situation. They are not very concerned when a robbery does occur and are also not doing much in thwarting the thief. I would personally not stay in this hotel until the matter is resolved. While obviously not every guest there is a victim, it would be just my luck that I would be the next one!!!

London, England
Level Contributor
394 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft at the Riu Palace?

We are booked to stay in May and I share your concerns.

Stories of the ex-member of staff coming in through the sliding doors, even when people are asleep in the room are very alarming. Other stories that the safes are being opened with the machine that they use when the safe number is lost or forgotten is also very worrying.

I have been told that most of the thefts are from the timeshare units, which Riu want to buy back and convert to hotel rooms. They are content to let it happen in the hope tat the timesharers will sell their units.

The police supposedly say that if they arrest the culprit now that he will only get week in jail and start again on his release. They want a case that will send him away for years.

My travel agent says that it would cost us £300 to change our booking to the Occidental but, i am seriously considering it.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theft at the Riu Palace?

Interesting Rick...my friend didn't say anything about the timeshare unit issue, just that it was very random. The Occidental is a nice property but I can't why you are being charged an extra 300 pounds. The Occidental's rates are less than the Rui's.

London, England
Level Contributor
394 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theft at the Riu Palace?

UK Travel Agents. The company we use go to the Riu. Their sister company go to Occidental. They say we would need to cancel our existing booking and lose our deposit (£300) and then start from scratch.

The hotels are roughly the same price over here. Perhaps booking seperate flight and hotel would have been better. Oh well, you live and learn.

Rick

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theft at the Riu Palace?

Oh, ok, I see. Well, I guess you have to look at the pros and cons. I mean, the chances are you will not have a problem at the Rui...BUT, will you spend your entire holiday worrying that you will be the next victim?? Tough call. Whatever you decide, have a great time...Aruba is awesome!

London, England
Level Contributor
394 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Theft at the Riu Palace?

We are going to take our chances.

I'd like to hear any recommendations that people might have regarding security. However, if you can't even trust the safe in the room to be secure, you can only really carry your valuables with you, which then raises it's own issues.

Someone suggested getting a small battery operated alarm that fixes to the sliding doors and would go off if they were opened.

What would / should you do / not do if someone enters your room when you are in there? Mace? Rape (sonic) alarm? Baseball Bat?

In today's "PC" world, burglars that get stopped physically are now bringing charges against their victims. The world has gone mad!!

Rick

cambridge
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Theft at the Riu Palace?

Hi Rick, we are flying out to Riu from England on 7th Feb for 8 days.We booked hotel and flights independantly.Just hoping everything will be ok. I will make a report on return hopefully telling you nothing to worry about.

Boston...
Level Contributor
758 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theft at the Riu Palace?

If you aren't in your room, you should always put the wooden/metal bar in the slider.

For extra travel security, REI sells a product called the PacSafe 100. I'm sure lots of other places do, as well. It's a small bag with a cable lock and is just big enough to hold passports, $$$, and credit cards, yet small enough to be portable. (IE: You can bring it with you and lock it to your palapa). The bag is reinforced with steel wires, so someone can't easily slash it or rip it open.

There's an optional 120db alarm you can purchase if you really want to be notified of an intrusion. :-)

Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
752 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theft at the Riu Palace?

There is also a soda can that is identical to a major brand like Coke or Pepsi. You can store valuables in it and keep in your rooj refrigerator. If I find the website I will post it.

Aruba is awesome as someone said earlier. Good luck!!

Pa.
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Theft at the Riu Palace?

rickfisher----the Riu has made no attempt to buy the timeshare units from the owners. They have had NO contact what so ever with the owners.Many have asked the Riu to be their unit and they are not interested.