We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car or Cab it??

New Orleans
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a car or Cab it??

My fiance and I are going to be going on our honeymoon and staying at the Marriott (free parking?). We weren't going to rent a car, but after reading some posts it seems like we might be better off money wise renting rather than spending cab fare. Is it necessary to rent or are we ok with cabbing it everywhere? TIA

Maine
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car or Cab it??

It would be ok if you just took taxi's, depends on what you want to do. If you want to do some exploring or go down to baby beach, go to Flying fishbones or the old man in the sea. I would say rent a car or jeep. The first time we went we took a taxi the second we rented a car and just loved it. We went to baby beach a couple of time and like the freedom of just getting in the car and going where we wanted. This next trip we are rening a 4 wheel drive and will explore the back side of the island.

boston
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car or Cab it??

I agree, Baby Beach, the Light House, Arashi Beach, you need a car. All not to be missed, however, you could plan your trip so that you only need a car for 2 days and then taxi if $ is an issue. (and when isn't it??)

RICHTC
Level Contributor
110 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car or Cab it??

Yes Marriott has free parking, but I would agree that renting a car for 2 days would be worthwhile to see the island. Baby Beach is very pretty. You can walk to a lot of restaurants from the Marriott.

nyc
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car or Cab it??

we just came back from Aruba and agreed next time we would rent a car. It gets expensive taking a taxi all the time. if you are staying longer than 5 days, definitely consider renting a car.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car or Cab it??

Thanks for the info. Do you have any suggestions on rental car companies to use?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,252 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car or Cab it??

We have been using Optima on a regular basis lately and have been very pleased with their service and cars.

http://www.optimarentacar.com/

Tropic is another good car rental on the island that we've used in the past.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a car or Cab it??

I would check on the web sites directly for Alamo and other "big name" companies. While the local agencies are usually less expensive last time we got a great rate directly from Alamo.

SE USA
Level Contributor
753 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a car or Cab it??

Rent a car for a couple days, at least...

I have used Amigo and Econo...both were fine...

http://www.amigocar.com/

http://www.econoaruba.com/rates/index.html#C

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
229 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a car or Cab it??

We just got back and rented a car for 3 of our 7 days. So glad we did. We went to Baby Beach, Old Man and the Sea, and explored the island on our own. I don't think you need it for more than 3 days though. Just plan your more 'distant' dinners around the rental days and you're in good shape. We rented from Hertz and paid $32 per day.

Jkh
Washington DC
Level Contributor
384 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent a car or Cab it??

Rent a car. You will end up paying a lot more if you use a taxi a lot. And, to go to Savenetta or any distance, it would cost quite a bit. It is easy to find parking anywhere in Aruba.

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach