We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip insurance

Boston MA
Level Contributor
263 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
trip insurance

Booking my trip to aruba on Orbitz. Is trip insurance worthwhile? (orbitz offers "Access America") I certainly think coverage is worthwhile IN THEORY, but I keep hearing that the fine print of these plans effectively excludes most reasons for cancellation, etc. and claims are very rarely paid.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip insurance

Our last 3 trips we did buy the insurance. My husbands mom was elderly so we were afraid we would have to cancell if she got sick. We have never taken it before these last 3 times so I guess in depends on your situation. My mom takes it out all the time because her and my dad were in an accident and she had to cancell and she did have insurance so they gave her her deposit back. One more thing a women in work went away with her family and mother go ill. They flew her home and insurance paid all expenses. So for the few extra bucks IMO it can be worth it. (Hope you never need it)

Boston MA
Level Contributor
263 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip insurance

Thanks, very helpful to know that the insurance companies actually paid the claims for your parents and coworker. Yes, I hope never to need it, but for reasons similar to yours, I think it's a good idea. I'd just heard that it can be a scam - similar to some health plans that go out of there way to deny claims!

Boston
Level Contributor
974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: trip insurance

We always buy trip cancelation insurance that you can cancel for any reason.. We have used it twice through the years. Once because of a serious car accident

We used it again when there was some "unrest" where we were scheduled to go so we canceled our trip.

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip insurance

You have to look at all the insurance plans. If you book your whole trip through one company, they will have a certain insurance, some offering cancel for any reason. I book my TA separately and most, if any, do not have cancel for any reason.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,470 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip insurance

I never buu it (except for an expensive trip to Africa). The most important part of the insurance is the evacuation plan as a medical flight from Aruba home would probably be in the $25,000+ category. With most hotels you can cancel without a penalty up to 24 hours in advance and many airlines will give you a credit voucher if you cancel, although there could be a $100 or so per ticket charge.

Like any insurance, it is a gamble.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip insurance

We always purchase the insurance....mainly because of hubby's Mom who is elderly and in poor health...I would much rather lose the cost of insurance rather than the cost of the trip. JMHO.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,500 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip insurance

www.insuremytrip.com/index.html?linkId=13267

InsureMyTrip link above offers numerous policies from a dozen or more well know insurance companies.

Fo those with medical issues they offer medical evacuation / hospital coverage that may be purchased separately or in a "package" with traditional coverage for airlines, hotels, etc.

Reading the fine print is eseential, look for pre-exisiting conditions exclusions, primary or secondary coverage and so on, to be sure you have the plan you want at the price you want to pay for it.

Boston MA
Level Contributor
263 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip insurance

Thanks everyone. I guess there's no avoiding reading the fine print. I did attempt to do that during online booking and that produced a very hard-to-read PDF. I tried searching on terms like "covered reasons" and gave up. I ended up booking WITH the insurance (as I have in the past). It was "only" $150. I'll keep my fingers crossed and try to set aside time later to better understand my current coverage, and shop around in the future.

Just to clarify -- I am not opposed to paying for insurance, "just in case." I am concerned about paying for insurance, having the very thing happen that I am insuring against (death or sickness in family, local unrest, etc.), and the insurance not paying the claim because of some ridiculous technicality in the fine print. I guess what I am asking is whether plans that are offered by third parties, through reputable companies like Orbitz, pretty reliable, or do you have to hire a lawyer to determine if it really gets you any protection?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip insurance

We buy the insurance but not always with the company we book with. It depends on the length of stay, cost of trip and how far in advance we are booking.

Plan ahead, shop around, and yes, read the fine print. Last year with the swine flu going around, the fine print was a little difficult to decipher, but I finally understood that once "an outbreak" is official, and you book after that warning, you are not covered. We were able to change our vacation destination though, just by having the "cancel for any reason up until departure". See how the words can make a difference?

Also, the trip before that one, a piece of luggage was lost on the way there (still hasn't been located) and the insurance paid a claim before the airlines did. That should tell you something.

Not all hotels refund your money for cancelling, especially if you book your flight and hotel together through the same company. Also, many hotels want the total cost of the stay paid up front if it is high season.

As for chronic health conditions, we make sure we pay the little extra for covering pre-existing conditions. One of the easiest ways to compare policies is on line.

Boston
Level Contributor
974 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: trip insurance

It may not be for everyone but we had an expensive trip booked to Bermuda many years ago and I was unable to go because of a serious car accident. If we did not have the insurance we would have been out more than 4k, that would have been a whole different type of pain if you know what I mean.

The other time we used it was when there was a strike possibility at the airport, we switched our trip to back to Aruba and paid a few hundred dollars to have peace of mind.

Again, not for everyone but I certainly enjoy knowing I am not going to lose thousands of dollars if something unexpected happens.

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach
Recent Conversations