We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a car...

Maryland
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
renting a car...

we get into aruba next week and are there for four days at the marriott and was wondering if its beneficial to rent a car for the entire trip...i hear its 25 dollars each way from the airport and then to travel outside the hotel would cost money...probably cheaper to rent a car, right???

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
430 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a car...

I always do. Depends on whether you like to stay in your resort area or whether you like to check out some out of the way places.

We used Jantzen last trip. They will give you an off road vehicle exchange for one day at no addl charge if you like.

Best to book the rental car ahead of time -- you'll save money if you do. Also, Jantzen offers a timeshare owners discount -- and they don't make you prove that you own a time share -- so go for the discounted rate.

Enjoy your trip.

MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a car...

We are arriving on December 3 for a week and my husband researched quite a few of the car rental agencies. We are also using Jansen -- they quoted $230 for a Kia Rio 4-door automatic with A/C -- LDW included in the $230 for a week.

They responded quickly and seem very reputable. There were a lot of positive comments about them on the TA site.

New York
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting a car...

Some people prefer not to rent cars...personally, we wouldn't want to do without one. In my opinion, it definitely pays off if you are planning on exploring the island, and going off-site for dining, etc.

We will be renting a Nissan Xterra 4x4 from Econo. It goes for $350/week less 10% (VisitArubaPlus discount card).

If not for the fact that we wanted a 4x4, and that there are 5 adults in our party, we would have used either Tropic or Jansen. Both of these rental operations have the best reviews on all of the Aruba boards. There may be some unhappy customer out there, but I don't remember EVER reading a negative report on either of them.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renting a car...

Oops -- forgot to mention that the $230/week rate was with the Visit Aruba card also!

Sandybeaches
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: renting a car...

Yes by all means rent a car.Go to Baby Beach you will love it.

So many sites to see..

Maryland
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: renting a car...

what is the visit aruba discount card? where do you get it?

MBG
The Villages...
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: renting a car...

Go to www.visitaruba.com and click in the upper right hand corner on the savings box. The card costs $10 and is good for one year. We are not arriving until 12/3 and the new 2006 cards start on 12/1.

I think that normally they mail you your cards, but since the new ones are being issued, they are, for the month of December, delivering them to the individual hotel desks. They requested our room reservation name and hotel property and will deliver the card to us on arrival with the hotel checkin packet. You could probably do the same.

We told the Jansen rental people that we did not have the card yet and would not be able to present it at car pickup; they said that would be fine and we could show it when we dropped the car off. Think it would be well worth your while to see if you could get the card.

Maryland
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: renting a car...

Is there a website for the Jansen/Janzten car rental..i didnt see an advertisement for it on the visitaruba.com website...

Maryland
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: renting a car...

nevermind...i found it...

Maryland
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: renting a car...

what about parking...? if renting a car, is it difficult to find parking in Aruba - downtown, near the beaches, etc.?

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach