We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bacuti-vs-Secrets Maroma

fairfield, Ct
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bacuti-vs-Secrets Maroma

OK--apples and oranges here, I know. We have never been to Aruba so its hard to decide based on experience. We have been to Mexico 3 times and loved it there[IB Grand, Paradisus, and le Blanc-Cancun]. I vowed to get back one day to try the Secrets at Maroma near Playa. BUT--our dilemma--People also talk a LOT about Aruba. I have NO desire to fight for chairs, deal with crowds all day at the hi-rise sections but heard that Eagle Beach was great and that Bacuti was wonderful. Anyone out there with experience at both places?

Thanks so much.

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bacuti-vs-Secrets Maroma

We just stayed with our family at the VIM last month. Since we've also stayed at the Bucuti and are Aruba regulars, I probably can help with this. Also, ArubaAmy has done both places way more than me.

You really can't compare the AI resorts in the Riviera Maya to the style on Aruba. We love to visit different beaches, but Aruba is our every year place.

In Aruba, it's a relatively small island so everything is pretty close. You land at the airport and you can be to almost any resort in 20 minutes or under. Most nights we walk to the restaurants we go to after stopping at a bar on the beach for happy hour. The food is excellent and there are many restaurants that have you sitting at tables on the beach. The Bucuti is a small hotel with nice rooms on a beautiful beach-the staff is very friendly and it's a great place to stay. The beaches are better than what we had in Mexico, but not so that we wouldn't return to the Riviera Maya-we loved our vacation there.

I can't really compare them-there aren't many similarities in hotel style or the areas themselves.

Try Aruba, I bet you love it.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,529 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bacuti-vs-Secrets Maroma

We've been to Aruba 20 times and the Playa del Carmen area around 10 times - and I think arubaweek6 said it perfectly. There really is no way to compare - those two resorts and destinations are way too different.

We like going to both Aruba and MX - but both are two completely different types of vacations.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bacuti-vs-Secrets Maroma

It's impossible to predict what you may like better. We all have different tastes. This is an Aruba forum, so it's natural for everyone to post positive comments. It's IMPOSSIBLE not to love Aruba and Bucuti. Great resort. Friendly people. Fantastic beach. Terrific restaurants. Try it for a change. Even if you decide that you like Mexico better, you will still love Aruba.

Clifton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
803 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bacuti-vs-Secrets Maroma

As the above posters said, you really can't compare. Do your research checking out all the pictures on both the hotels so you can get an idea of how each is different. the Mexican hotels are amazing and I love it there. That being said we do own a timeshare in Aruba and go every year. I usually go to Mexico every year too. At an all inclusive in Mexico, you will want for nothing and as you know they are luxurious. Aruba is wonderful with great people but the hotels are not up to the standards of most of the new all inclusives in Mexico.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bacuti-vs-Secrets Maroma

We go to Aruba every fall (have timeshare at the Divi Phoenix) and Mexico every year in the spring.

We were at Secrets Maroma last April/May and I have to say is it the BEST place we have ever stayed. It is a beautiful service oriented resort and the food, drinks, service, ambiance, etc was absolutely TOPS!!! We would have returned this year but our daughter is graduating and we are doing a family trip. We are planning to go back in 2011 for 10 days. Secrets Maroma is adults only. It is on one of the top 10 beaches in the world Maroma Beach - I have never seem a more beautiful stretch of sand or water. That being said, if you want to stay at a top resort for a week and take a cab into the town of Playa a day or two that is what it is. You can walk the beach for miles in either direction and only run into one or two other properties. Even though it is all inclusive we found the food to be some of the best we have sampled. It was like going out to dinner every night in a different top restaurant in Boston.

As for Aruba - we love it for other reasons (enough so that we bought a timeshare). I would not want to do all inclusive in Aruba as there are so many wonderful $/$$$$ restaurants. You can walk the beach (Palm Beach where we stay) and hit a different bar/happy hour. The beach is much more crowded so there is a lot more "people watching" than at Maroma.

Aruba has a lot of nightlife where we found Maromo very quiet at night although we can take a quick cab ride into town and find a ton of excitement.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me - bradleka@watts.com

Where you have been to Mexico and not Aruba yet I would give Aruba a try - you will love it. I can't comment on Buccuti as I have not stayed there but we love Divi Phoenix (our timeshare) as it is on Palm Beach which we love to walk and hit the beach bars but it is at the end of the beach next to Eagle Beach so we get the quiet of our own resort when we want that. We do not worry about chairs or huts at our resort but I have heard at some of the other resorts it can be a problem.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bacuti-vs-Secrets Maroma

I have only been to Mexican resorts twice...once on the east coast and once on the west coast. After we found Aruba more than a decade ago, I saw no reason ever to return.....but millions love it.

Which is a good thing since Aruba is a small island! ;)

7. Re: Bacuti-vs-Secrets Maroma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 06:24
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach