We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency

coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
currency

Hi All,

I am visiting Aruba in August this year,I am british and would like to know what is the best breakdown of currency to take.

Is it better to take Sterling and change it there,change to American dollars here before going or take half sterling/Dollars,your help please.

Mags

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147247-i144-k3568…

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency

think this question seems to be a problem when we are from the uk and I dont know about you, but we would expect to change sterling at home for the local currency(florins) and bring it with us to support the local economy. Otherwise we exchange sterling for US then go to a country that the main currency is their own(florins)!

Certainly when in the other bits of the caribbean we have taken EC dollers not US.(again because no matter what we have to exchange sterling)

we dont go until june so hopefully will make our mind up by then and look at the relative strenghs of US dollers to sterling

Netherlands
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: currency

Hi, I have no idea what is the best breakdown. Just want to inform you that the local currency, the florin, is less used compared to the dollar. In restaurants and other touristplaces the dollar is the currency most used.

I am from the Netherlands and still miss our florins because of the Euro. I really enjoyed the thought that on Aruba I could pay with the good old florin, because Aruba didn't change to the Euro. I was very disappointed to find out that Aruba is completely Americanised in the tourist parts of the island, and the dollar is the norm. The Dutch heritage is hard to find. Anyway, that doesn't matter, Aruba is still the best place to go ;)

The florin and the dollar are tied to eachother, therefor there are no fluctuations between AFLS and $.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency

As Fenny says, change to Florins or US $ depending upon the best exchange rate that you can get. They are tied to each other so there is no savings in using either in Aruba. I would guess, but only a guess, that you can more readily exchange Sterling for US $ then for Florins in Britain.

lancashire
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency

I would advise you take US dollars - this is more widely used even though you may get your change given in the local currency. Because we travel to Florida on a regular basis as well we dont need to exchange them back to sterling when we get home.

Whatever you decide to do you will have a fab time, we leave on 14th May and can't wait!!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: currency

Thanks all!

coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: currency

Thanks to you all,

Looks like the best currency to take then is US$,hope the exchange rate is good in August.

Mags

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: currency

Hi, my hubby and I are taking US dollars, tho we found in mexico in cancun it was lot cheaper if u paid in their own currency, they were charging 2 different prices! 1 for US dollars and 1 for pescos! Was a total rip off we felt but who are we to argue, was the same going back home paying the tax when leaving and also wer ripped off with excess baggage, when we knew and checked back at manchester that the scales were rigged, hope this doesnt happen in Aruba

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: currency

Hi Lancashirefatcat,

My hubby and I go on the 14th too, are you on the manchester flight? we are on that flight too

lancashire
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: currency

Hi yorkybelle,

Yes we are on the Manchester flight on the 14th May. Where are you staying? If it's the Tam you will have a fantastic time.

Jo x

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach
Recent Conversations