We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos and departure tax

Wigan, UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos and departure tax

Hi everyone,

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times before but are there lots of mozzies in Aruba? We went to Cuba this time last year and got eaten alive with them.

Also, is there a departure tax when leaving Aruba?

Thanks

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,395 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos and departure tax

There can sometimes be mosquitoes if the island has received alot of rain. In 21 trips to Aruba, we've only been bothered by mosquitoes a few times but we always bring bug spray "just in case" (better safe than sorry.)

I know you're not flying out of the U.S. so I'm not sure about departure tax. U.S. airlines usually have the taxes included in the price of the flight but I'm not sure about other airlines. I would check with your travel agent, tour operator, or airline.

Edited: 08 June 2010, 12:38
romford
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos and departure tax

Hi Arnie,

We are flying out to Aruba on 31st July (1st time) I believe there is a departure tax of about $35.

Regards,

Pat

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos and departure tax

Hi Arnie I've been in to our local chemist and we don't need malaria tablets.

I shall be taking mozzy spray as I am a magnet for the little devils! and will be dousing myself in the stuff.

Last year I took extra strength jungle formula to Dom Rep and didn't get so many. I also have a mozzy plug in thingy that I usse on a night and take citronella candles for the balcony(looks like I won't need them cos I asume us Brits won't be getting one anyway!!) Plus a fly swat!!!

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,597 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos and departure tax

We have have only encountered mosquitos once and that was at dusk around the pool area at the Stellaris. We were sitting near the foliage and that may have been part of the problem but we were eaten alive. With the constant winds I think this also keeps the mosquitos at bay.

Ayrshire, scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos and departure tax

Hi, re the mozzies. Great reviews of spray called incognito. available on internet. Have ordered the aftersun, soap and insense sticks. Off to Egypt and expecting them to be in full form!

Hopefully try before i go on the humble midgy!

Let u know how I get on!

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos and departure tax

Hiya folks-Like the other eplies say not many mosquitoes here unless it rains. Better safe than sorry really so bring some mossie spray.

From the U/K. we have to pay departure tax in dollars on return home at the check in-It is 34 dollars 25 cents.

ENJOY ARUBA. Where are youi staying by the way............

lancashire
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos and departure tax

Hi Arnie,

Mozzies.... where to start!! If you are bothered by them do take a strong repellent or buy one as soon as you get there. The one they have in Aruba is called 'OFF' and it is stronger than the 'Jungle Formula' that is sold in England.

I am one of the unlucky ones and the mozzies seem to love me and it turns out I am allergic!! 15 infected bites later and I ended up at the hospital. I was given a course of antibiotics and some anti-inflammateries.. They are on the mend now but If you are bothered by them please be careful and apply bug spray morning and night.

Just for info the Tam does supply citronella candles in the rooms for you to take out on your balcony/patio.

Have a great time. I did in spite of the mozzies and it won't put me off going back, I will be more careful in future and come prepared!!

Jo

Edited: 11 June 2010, 09:03
romford
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos and departure tax

Hi Jo,

Didn't think that the mosquitos were such a problem in Aruba. Will have to make sure that I stock up with all the repelents otherwise they will have a field day with me and eat me alive LOL!

Normally use the mosquito plug in repellent in the room, Avon Skin So Soft (which seems to work for me) and Jungle Formula. Hubby takes garlic tablets on a daily basis, and has never been bitten. I don't even have to go abroad to get bitten, I was eaten alive in our own garden by the mosquitos about 3/4 years back, and I also ended up going to hospital.

Pat

Dallas
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos and departure tax

We did not see a single mosquitoes during our entire trip (though my wife did manage to get stucg by what seemed to be the only bee in Aruba).

As for the rain, the island is basically a desert, and it hardly ever rains there. In fact, the website we booked through offered $ 100.00 cash back if it rained at all during our stay, but no such luck. Take some spray just in case, but it's a safe bet you won't have to worry about mosquitoes.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
823 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos and departure tax

We have never been bothered by mosquitos in Aruba and I am for sure the one they would get bitten if they were around. In Dom Rep I got over 200 and then we gave up counting!!

We also use 'Off' which can be bought in Aruba or the States but not UK.

Having just returned from the Maldives I can recommend that you take Vitamin B1 tablets and Garlic tablets a couple of weeks before you go and whilst you are there. They are both available from Holland & Barratt, plus other places I guess, and they definitely worked for me. There were people getting bitten and I am pleased to say I actually escaped this for the first time ever.

Enjoy Aruba. We shall be making our third trip there in September.

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach