We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tamarjin vs occidental

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
birmingham
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
tamarjin vs occidental

hi guys

not been to aruba before & looking at sept next year as i hear this is a good time to go.

any info on the 2 hotels i've mentioned?

thinking of either of these but to be honest neither are satisfying me 100%. reviews seem a bit mixed.

there aren't many hotels on offer for aruba from uk (think it's up & coming) & not many hotels offer AI which is a must.

anybody stayed at either of these hotels or both?

we want good AI, great beach & a good hotel to make a fantastic holiday really.

Thanks in advance x

CT
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tamarjin vs occidental

you should first decide if you want high rise vs low rise - see upper right corner of this page for frequently asked questions... thats one of them.

Tam is low rise. Occidental, and Riu are highrise.

I would also look at the Riu for all inclusive if you decide to go highrise. nice place. decent reviews.

Im a lowrise guy... so i would choose the Tam (or Divi Ai)... Thats just me.

Also - you really dont need all inclusive in aruba. We love the resort, so we do ai... plus it is a bit easier sometimes. However, there are some of the best restaurants in the caribbean in aruba. and if you do the breakdwon, you usually get away cheaper going NON all inclusve. Unless you are drinkers. (see all inclusve vs non - on top right corner of this page as well!)

birmingham
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tamarjin vs occidental

thanks for the reply - just checked a different tour operator & now we have the choice of the riu, divi & westin also.

we def want to go ai as we love not having the hassle of carrying money round. i think i like the look of the divi - any info on that?

i did fancy the high rise hotels but now thinking low rise.

i hear the low rise beach is slightly better. we ideally want the best beach

x

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tamarjin vs occidental

The Divi and Riu are very different from one another. The Divi is really no frills on a beautiful uncrowded beach. The Riu is glitzy and more crowded.

birmingham
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tamarjin vs occidental

oh we've also got the choice of the Renaissance too.

ideally we'd like a pretty smart hotel, good AI, good food, stunning beach, calm waters if at all possible

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tamarjin vs occidental

I think good food and good AI are subjective, and one person could love it while another thinks it's terrible. You should probably take a look at the reviews. The water on Palm Beach at the Riu will be a little calmer than at the Divi. The Divi isn't rough by any means, but Palm beach is known to be calmer.

I wouldn't classify the Divi as "Smart" (elegant, chic), so I'm afraid you're going to have to determine what is most important to you. Often times a resort just won't have exactly everything you are looking for. I'm leaning toward suggesting the Riu for you.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tamarjin vs occidental

I was at the Occidental last year, and it was very nice. However, it is just one of many high rise hotels, all in a row, one on top of the next. I had actually wanted to stay at the Divi or Tam, but my friend wanted something "fancier". What I DID like about being at the Occidental was the close proximity to shopping and restaurants--not the downtown area, but down by all the hotels. Everything was really close and we could walk to a lot. That said, the beach was much more crowded and impossible to get a palapa at the beach (which was OK because we wanted sun, however I don't like the chair game!) What I would perceive as being a negative at the Divi or Tam is the location--I think you would have to take a cab or bus to get to either downtown, or the other hotel area to get to shops and such. And I think the properties are definitely not as upgraded, but I can't really say since I have never been there.

Both the Riu and the Westin are at the very end of the "hotel zone" and they seem to have a little more space down there. My travel agent really recomended the Westin, and the Riu appeared very nice. I think the Riu is less expensive for an AI (I agree with you on the AI--so much easier! And my sister who always does non-AI said she doesn't recall any fabulous, memorable restaurants in Aruba). I think if I did it again, I might try the Riu.

As far as surf, I can't imagine place is rougher than the other, but again, I was only at one! I don't think that factor would play into the choice!

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tamarjin vs occidental

Palm Beach (high rise) has the calmest water. There will be more waves on Druif Beach (Divi & Tam area). You may do best at the high rise area, more upscale, very calm water, and close to other activities.

CT
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tamarjin vs occidental

agreed, sounds like palm beach may meet more of your requirements.

We love the divi for the beach, and relaxing atmosphere. Its uncrowded... The beach is 10 X (if not more) the size of any palm beach hotel's beach... and less people in the hotel. So needless to say - there is PLENTY of beach room!!

However, the food is said to be arguably better at the riu... The facility is MUCH newer and smart. The divi is very caribbean in feel. The high rise is very... high rise in feel!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tamarjin vs occidental

I personally wouldn't want to deal with the crowds in the high-rise area.

Give me the tam / divi anyday.... when we were there the water was very tame... mild waves at the most.

I personally loved the laid back atmosphere of the tam, but its definitely not as fancy as what you will find at the occidental or riu, but it fit our style.

Its a short bus / cab ride down town if you need to shop or eat out.

10. Re: tamarjin vs occidental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach