We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes in Aruba

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Staffs
Level Contributor
215 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitoes in Aruba

I know that there are mosquitoes in Aruba but how bad are they? Are they just a problem during dusk and dawn? Or are they a problem all day so that you need to use repellant all the time? We are going to Aruba for the fist time in August and we will be staying at the Tam.

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoes in Aruba

I seem to get bit beofre the sun comes up, when there is very little breeze. At night, my husband gets bit, but I do not. I have never had a problem during the daylight hours.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,963 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoes in Aruba

We've made 21 trips to Aruba and have only been bothered by mosquitos a couple of times. Both times it was due to an unusual amount of rain in a short amount of time.

I always pack OFF now "just in case" but have only had to use it a couple of times. It really just depends on the weather.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitoes in Aruba

I have been to Aruba 12 times and have never seen a mosquito. That is the truth. Strong trade winds probably have something to do with it . I think Amy's post is right on.

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitoes in Aruba

I'm with Tony - 8 trips for me and have never seen a single mosquito. They tend to love my husband, and he hasn't seen one either, go figure!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
294 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitoes in Aruba

I also have not had any problems with mosquitoes. This July will be our 6th trip...but we always have OFF/Cutter in our travel bags if we need it..force of habit..

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitoes in Aruba

I think it's true about the wind. The wind often dies throughout the night which is why I seem to get bit while sitting on the beach before the sun comes up, I never get bit on the balcony, must have something to do with the wind and the water. I get to the beach between 5 and 6 a.m. My husband seems to get bit at night, possibly due to less wind and he has always been a magnet to them. I always leave the bug wipes in my purse every night, and he uses them as needed. Thinks it's something about him because I never get bit at night. Wonder if could have to do with spilled drinks on the sand.

Edited: 06 July 2010, 16:03
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitoes in Aruba

Same as Amy. I've been 'attacked' just a few times and it always seemed to be when the wind was sucked away from the island and there was rainfall. They've never bothered my husband. They seem to be attracted to us fair-skinned gals!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitoes in Aruba

We got back from Aruba last week, and I got many, many bites! A first for me.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquitoes in Aruba

we were in aruba from 11 june for 2 weeks and I was lulled into a false sense of security in the fact that aruba has not really got the same caribbean feel in terms of humidity as the other islands.So I did not spray for the first two nights!

What a mistake. there was some rain overnight for a couple of nights(i think the weather front became hurricane alex)and the insects were out and some serious biting happened!

So take spray and deal with all uncoverd bits at night!I

n the UK you can buy a silver spray from Boots with 50%deet.

Only ever used this in St lucia/barbados/grenadines etc in august so the 30% OFF product in Aruba would do fine. Walk over the road from the end of the Tam and the supermarkets sell cheaper than the shop on site

Santa Maria...
Level Contributor
36 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mosquitoes in Aruba

Just spent two weeks in Aruba and no problem with bugs. Curacao, on the other hand was totally different.

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach