We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Aruba

South Carolina
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Aruba

Hi,

We are planning a long weekend at the Riu Aruba at the end of Feb. 2011. My husband ran across some bad reviews (not on trip advisor~he's not sure what site). One of the bad reviews spoke of a theft from the person's room at the resort. According to this review, the thief works at the resort and regularly steals things (laptops, etc. ) from the guests. Apparently, this guest tried to speak with the staff to get something done about it and they wouldn't help him. Has anyone heard about this or experienced it first-hand at this resort? Everything else I've read about this place seems wonderful~I just want to make sure we're safe before we book it!

Thanks,

Kim

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,262 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Aruba

There were some thefts going on at the Riu awhile ago (might have been a couple of years ago now.) It seemed to be an "inside job" and since it hasn't happened in quite awhile now, I'm assuming those employees have since been fired.

Woodbridge, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Aruba

Hi, FEB 4 /2011

I just got back from there... do not go there.

I believe this... the maid tossed a box with my stuff in it and they did nothing about it. They pretend to help you but really they are waiting for you to leave.

I left the first message with front desk, I was told the next person on this shift will call me in 30 min, well they did not. I called 1.5 hours later and the new person did not know anything about this. So I explained again, they sent the housekeeper supervisor, she told me she is the supervisor and that is the only thing she could say in english. So next morning I went down to the lobby, hoping they would have found my stuff and the morning shift knew nothing of this incident. It would have been better for them to apologize, and simply state that I would not retrieve my things. I would have been ok with that, and I would have not wasted my time.

OTHER PROBLEMS

1 the hotel is not clean

2 no fan in the bathroom

3 bring your own conditioner, their bottle says shampoo/with conditioner but really it is only shampoo. When I finally purchased the conditioner they stopped providing me with the shampoo.

4 the sheets had URINE STAINS size of a fist , clearly visible

5 water did not drain from tub, so you stood in water while showering

6 no soap dish

7 no place to hang your hang your wet towel.. basic thing in a 5 star

8 rooms smell of smoke

9 room key did not work three times

10 you need to book a restaurant at 8:00 in the main lobby, you can't call to reserve, and you can't book for the whole week. You need to get up in the morning to do this, how is this 5 star service?

11 If you do not want to burn at the beach and need an umbrella you need to get up before 7:00 am to reserve a spot.

12 do not lock the bathroom door, one of the quests could not open it, and had to struggle to get out.

13 the rooms you see on the RIU website is not what we get. We were in the timeshare section and the rooms were old. For sure not a 5 star experience.

14 DO NOT USE THE SAFE, we put a blackberry into it and when we returned the safe was open. They had the power go off and since they are electronic they open.

Best Advice: book a Marriot Marina Tower ( has cleaner private beach, they even come to you to serve you drinks as you are tanning) or the HYATT.

This is not a 5 star if you are travelling in Canada or the US. The only thing that was decent was the food especially Krystal restaurant, if that would not be the case they would be out of business. Not a Ritz for sure or even a marriot. I have been at the marriot last year no complaints. I would definitly go to Aruba, but not to the RIU, or any Riu for that matter. This hotel is an insult to this beautiful Island.

Mer

Edited: 01 February 2011, 17:52
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Aruba

I returned on January 16th - was there for my best friend's wedding. I agree with a couple of comments above. Def. not 5 star rooms especially in the tower I was in...which is a standard room. I view was beautiful so I can't complain about that, but for the price I paid def not worth it. My room key stopped working once, my safe was falling apart, the bathtub looked 100 years old, but it was clean. My extra safety lock from the inside of my room was broken off, so anyone (staff) could come in when I was in the room. I didn't like that. and the room and hall did smell disgustly like smoke! And for a non-smoker it's GROSS! There was always someone from our group who would save chairs at like 6:30am by the pool area, which I thought was crazy. And I totally agree about the a la carte rests. Let's leave it that I didn't get a chance to experience any of those resturauants since i wasn't going to line up early in the morning at the lobby...that's ridiculous! Buffet was excellent I have to say, breakfast had soooo much to choose from, the variety was amazing. Lunch was alright too, same with the dinners...mashed pototoes were GREAT! lol. Also the bar staff at the upstairs outside bar were very nice and great choice of drinks..they even have a martini menu, same with the 24 hour bar inside, great staff (Harrold) was amazing. Nachos were great in there too!

Over all: Food - excellent, pool -- freezing, beach-- beautiful, cleaning staff --doesn't not speak english. Lobby staff --not bad. but many people from our group requested wake up calls and did not receive them. Director Lillian - very pleasant. Sunquest reps --nice ladies, Spa --very nice! Never had a service done, but I was happy that we were able to use the hot tub. Bathrooms around the grounds - very clean. Grounds --very nice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Aruba

ALMOST forgot to mention - Thomas Cook Airlines lost my luggage!!! I got it 2.5 days later after a huge fuss! Apparently it got stuck on the belt in Toronto! DIdn't think that still happened!!

5. Re: Riu Aruba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2012, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach
Recent Conversations