We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental Grand Aruba in mid March 2006?

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
Occidental Grand Aruba in mid March 2006?

Has anyone been to the Occidental Grand in Aruba (formerly Allegro Resort) in 2006? I was wondering if the renovations are complete? If not, how far along are they? Are most of the problems that other travellers complained about resolved? Are the additional restaurants pleasing? Any info. anyone has would be great. My sisters and I are planning to take my 81 yr. old mother for a warm winter get-away. Thanks! MO

nj
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental Grand Aruba in mid March 2006?

the occidental has not reopened as yet. rumors say a march 1st opening but the time share people indicated that we should choose another occidental since it is no where completed. we had been scheduled 02/11-02/25. you cannot pick a better place...we have been going 9 years and bought 2 years ago...it is going to be wonderful but travel agents etc are indicating more like july 06 for it to be completely up and running. I would choose another hotel...Have fun!!!!!

Plymouth, Ma
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental Grand Aruba in mid March 2006?

We were scheduled to go there Feb 18. The place is great and have been going for 7 years.

We have been able to make some contact with them. They are allowing owners in at that time (Feb 18). However, they indicated that the restaurants and bars, etc would not be available. They also indicated that there still is and will be construction gioing on even at night. If we chose to go, we had to sign a release saying we would not hold them responsible. They also strongly encouraged us to go to one of their other resorts in Mexico or the Dominican this year. Since part of our group are teachers we cannot delay the vacation--so we are trying to change flights, lodging to the Dominican.

It was a tough decision because Aruba has been our favorite destination but they really indicated that we would be very disappointed with our vacation if we chose to go.

Good luck with your decision.

Waterford, Michigan
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental Grand Aruba in mid March 2006?

patsbacker,

Did you go on your trip to the Dominican yet? If so, did you like it? and which Occidental resort did you stay at? Have you heard any updates on the Aruba resort?

Toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Occidental Grand Aruba in mid March 2006?

I am booked at Occidental Grand for May 6 arrival. I called the resort directly today, and I was told that the hotel part of the resort is not open yet, but they do have timeshare units available now. Their website says May 1 opening, but the lady I spoke to doubts very much that there will be any restaurants operational by then which means that there will not be any all-inclusive fee to pay (I was told that it was a mandatory all-inclusive resort when I booked it). Also, she expects that renovations will be ongoing until past May (although she said it shouldn't be noisy as they're done with the major construction - just changing furniture now and bathroom stuff). That also means that there will be no nightly entertainment and no bars on-site when I get there. The pool will be available when I get there. I would like to go to another resort, but that means I will lose my RCI points and will have to pay another exchange fee. I have been calling the resort directly in Aruba as RCI doesn't seem to have any idea as to what is going on at Occidental!!

Would anyone going to Aruba and returning before April 28(I'm leaving for Aruba on April 28 staying at the Divi Village first)who will happen to see the progress at Occidental please post a note so I know what to expect when I get there? I would very much appreciate any updates before April 28.

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Occidental Grand Aruba in mid March 2006?

We have booked for two weeks from May 1. Now having read your question Mojomatt and some replies, I'm amazed that we have not been told anything about building work or refurbishment by our agent. Does Amy know if it looks nearly finished yet?

Waterford, Michigan
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Occidental Grand Aruba in mid March 2006?

As I posted in previos posts, I have heard 3 restaurants will be open by the Grand opening. I would also assume that would mean there will be bars open too. As far as the nightly entertainment, I do not know. I did hear that they will not be completely done renovating but that the work they will be doing will not impact our vacation.

Please continue to post as new info is available

Poole, Dorset
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Occidental Grand Aruba in mid March 2006?

Hi

I'm booked at the Occidental Grand Aruba from 15th - 30th May 2006. Booked the holiday on-line through First Choice - no-one mentioned any refurbishments etc.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Occidental Grand Aruba in mid March 2006?

We also booked on line direct with First Choice and nothing was mentioned about all the building alterations but if you look on trip advisor reviews and the forums under both the Occidental and just under Aruba generally you will see that the grand opening is supposed to be on May 1.Let's hope it is completely finished!

Mass
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Occidental Grand Aruba in mid March 2006?

Just returned on the 15th from that area and the jackhammers are working all day long. They are working hard but very noisy in that area. Good Luck!

Waterford, Michigan
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Occidental Grand Aruba in mid March 2006?

SUNSHINE25,

Where did you stay? Did it appear there were many people staying at the Occidental resort?

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach