We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Insurance

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Trip Insurance

We are traveling to Aruba in February this year,usually I don't take out insurance but I'm thinking I should this time. We booked through MCM Tours should I get it through them or look for other options?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
13,564 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Insurance

Do both - compare plans and rates...

www.insuremytrip.com/index.html?linkId=30781

Insure My Trip offers numerous plans and well know companies.....consider medical evacuation / hospital coverage as part of the package.....if needed......primary coverage.....pre-existing conditions waivers....

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Insurance

I always get my own so I can pick what options I want. Another site is:

http://www.squaremouth.com/

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Insurance

We always insure our trips to Aruba. So worth the peace of mind.

Midwest
Level Contributor
842 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Insurance

Many reasons to consider buying... but also some questions to address when you compare policies:

1. Medical: Do they reimburse you for charges, or advance payment to the hospital if needed? (We asked this last year.)

2. Is medical evac/repatriation covered? Air ambulances are obscenely expensive.

3. Are pre-existing conditions covered, and how? Is there a set period of time in advance for which you must buy the policy for them to be covered?

4. How exactly is trip cancellation covered? If a non-traveling family member falls ill or dies and you have to cancel, is that covered?

5. Does your state of residence have special conditions or exclusions?

These are only a few of the points to look into, and not all policies/underwriters are the same, so do read ALL of the fine print before you buy.

We never used to buy TI, but as the years go by and our health needs changed, we would rather play it safe. Minor injuries can be covered easily (for most) out of pocket, but one particular incident (in the US) could have been catastrophic without insurance... and it could have happened anywhere. "If it helps you sleep at night".... :)

Compare several, look for postings, and make an informed decision either way. Have a great time!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
781 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Insurance

Try Travelguard, we have used them for years, many different Plans, always reasonable and reliable. Just go to their website.

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Insurance

Thank you so much for the info. It sounds like I'll be spending a day on the phone. ugh!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
184 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Insurance

The companies should have their policies available online in pdf with all the details outlined. Travelguard is good, they processed 1 claim that I had very quickly. Another company I've used is travelsafe, but thankfully haven't had to make any claims with them.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Insurance

insuremytrip.com has a comparison tool.

We never thought of trip insurance until this 40 something came down with chicken pox for the first time.

A friend with trip insurance will be reimbursed the $650 she just spent on an "interrupted" trip in Aruba when American could not get her home for an additional 3 nights.

Now they will also reimburse her, minus whatever the money she receives from American, for a lost suitcase.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Insurance

We use Access America. They have plans to fit your needs. I always buy the extra rider that reimburses you if you have to work. Depending on you and your trip companions type of employment, piece of mind getting reimbursed if something at work happens at the last minute. I also get the trip insurance so that I know if my flight is delayed or there is a weather disaster at one of my stopover airports, the insurance has it covered. It even covers lost luggage and hotel rooms if there are delays among many other cancellation or interruption circumstances It's not cheap, but it's worth every penny not to have to worry if there are issues. The price is determined by the total cost of your trip and where you are traveling to. They are at www.accessamerica.com. I first heard about them on the Clark Howard radio program so I knew Access America isn't a shady company if a financial advisor type recommends them.

Midwest
Level Contributor
842 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Insurance

And now, a cautionary tale titled "How to Completely Screw Up Your Travel Insurance Coverage Without Really Trying"....

Was pricing trip insurance package options as we do every year, and realized that (a) we needed pre-existing (medical) conditions to be covered, and (b) that we paid our initial trip deposit months ago.... thereby (c) causing ourselves to be rejected for full package (ie: trip cancellation) coverage by virtually any semi-reputable company.

Doh.

And now... we are looking into just obtaining medical and accident coverage only (which would exclude trip cancellation). So (for example) if Nana has a stroke back home while we're on the beach, we say adios to a a few thousand dollars. But.... if one of us on the trip get sick, we're (apparently) covered for medical (but not the loss of us of any travel accommodations, rebookings, and so forth).

Live and learn. Goes to show that experienced travelers can even brain-cramp on occasion. Gain from our new-found (and delayed) wisdom, grasshoppa.... *bows in deference to the travel gods, whom he hopes will be merciful *

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach