We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about dressing for dinner

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Question about dressing for dinner

We will be dining at Carte Blanche, Madame Janette, Papillon, Windows on Aruba, Screaming Eagle and French Steakhouse. Do any of these places recommend long pants for men and a sport coat? We don't mind dressing up on vacation, but my husband doesn't want to look out of place either. I figured dress pants and a collar shirt would be appropriate but he thinks sport coat is necessary (based on what I read on this forum). Thoughts?

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
975 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about dressing for dinner

I brought casual dress pants (i.e. polo kaki's) with me last June and never ever wore them. Always wore a collar shirt and nice shorts, and went to some nice places (Windows on Aruba, Madame Janette, Papillon, Papiamento, Ruth's Chris, and Chalet Swiss), and never felt out of place. Cannot comment on Carte Blanche, Screaming Eagle, or French Steakhouse, never having been there (but likely the same situation).

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,030 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about dressing for dinner

We go to all of those places and like getting dressed up for dinner if it's a nicer restaurant. My husband no longer brings a jacket to Aruba (back in the "old days" many years ago, one was required at a few select restaurants.) Nice pants and a collared shirt are fine. Some men do wear nice shorts to these places but my husband prefers pants. Madame Janette's can get a little warm outside because it's more sheltered and lacks the usual wind so my husband usually wears nice shorts there.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about dressing for dinner

Thank you! This answers the question for sure!

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about dressing for dinner

No jackets. My wife likes to wear either a skirt and nice top or a sundress to some of the upper class restaurants. I will usually wear long pants and a collared shirt. Not necessary, just my personal preference.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about dressing for dinner

Last 5 trips I haven't brought long pants except for the jeans I wear down. Since Le Dome went out of business no need. Shorts and a collared shirt are accepted everywhere.

6. Re: Question about dressing for dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 10:30
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach