We just returned from our 10th visit to our Happy Island, and had a wonderful time as usual. For the second year in a row we stayed at Amsterdam Manor. The staff and customer service was excellent, as usual. We were met with a bottle of wine and other goodies for being repeat visitors, and they also acknowledged my husband's birthday with gifts - a very nice touch!
The weather was perfect - not a drop of rain all week. I personally enjoy the overcast days of clouds rather than the full-on sun and blue skies that can make me hot and tired! :) For the majority of the week we had beautiful skies with puffy clouds. On 2 days, there was an odd rainbow circle around the sun, which had everyone on the beach talking. If I could post a picture, I would. Strange and beautiful at the same time. The water was calm where we were all week, but we did see some rough waters during our walks on Eagle Beach toward the Bucuti.
Restaurants visited were:
- Bugaloe on our first night. A decent meal, nothing fancy, and a lot of fun with the band that showed up around 7:00 and had the crowd going.
- Bingo - this is a must for us the past few years. Love their burgers and those curly fries are to die for.
- Iguana Joe's - We won't be visiting here again for food, maybe just drinks. My husband was craving chili (I'm still not sure you can find it anywhere on the island other than Wendy's!). It's a nice place for drinks and people watching, and his ribs were excellent, but I got the chicken fajitas. The chicken was dry as can be. I do have to say their Sangria is one of the best I've tasted.
- Wacky Wahoo's - TWICE! We just love this place and I have nothing negative to say. I tried Barracuda for the first time which was mouth watering. My husband had the special of grouper with shrimp and a large lobster ravioli (twice). Delicious.
- Barefoot - what a great place. The location isn't the greatest in terms of getting there, but the decor and setup is fabulous. We had a table that wasn't directly on the beach but right up against the railing with an excellent view. We both had steak, and the service was top-notch. The owner even came over and offered to take a picture of us with our camera. They gave us glasses of champagne for my husband's birthday which was a nice gesture.
- Da Vinci's, which is right next to Cafe Rembrandt. I was craving pasta and thought we'd give this a try. Surprisingly, it was really very good. My husband had the Chicken Parm and thought it was close to what he's had in the North End. I had tortellini with ham in a cream sauce. Service was a bit slow, and they appeared understaffed. All in all a good meal!
The new Alhambra Casino was packed both times we went there. We did o.k. there, not so well anywhere else! The area there with Dunkin Donuts and Subway is shaping up to look really very nice. There is also a shop with souvenirs, and another mini-mart type of store which had everything from soup to nuts.
The Ritz is getting there...and it still saddens me to see such a large property taking up space, but it is what it is. We love the island, the weather, and the people and this will not stop us from returning. With each return trip back home, we hope and pray that we are blessed to be able to go back the following year.