We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace questions

lancs
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace questions

Please could anyone help with the following? What is the sunbed situstion like at the Riu? Some previous reviews suggest it is a nightmare to get a bed by the pool-is this the case? Our i6 yr old son would be coming with us next July-does this hotel normally attract many families with older children? Is there free or payable wi-fi at this hotel or internet access in the rooms? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
6,612 Reviews
Aruba
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
867 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace questions

We will be there in 8 days so I can hopefully answer your question accurately about the sunbeds. I think it depends on the time of year so July you might be just fine finding chairs easily since that is really more "off season". At the two other Riu's we have stayed at in April (Jamaica & Mexico) we were always fine getting to the pool by 8 AM and finding a chair. Much past 9 AM and you may have a harder time. I think in general the RIU doesn't cater to families as their kids club usually aren't that organized and seem to be small. With that being said - I have seen families at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya and the one in Ocho Rios -- just not a lot of kids. Typically the free wi-fi is in the lobby's only. I believe this is the case in Aruba. I think you need to pay for it otherwise/

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
101 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace questions

The last 2 times we were there it was the middle part if July. Never had a problem getting beds around the pool or beach. There were alot of families during the July months. The 2nd time we took our 10 year old son with us and it was fine. The shows at night are kid friendly. There is also a sports bar with a small arcade...kid friendly as well. I think your 16yr old will have fun and not get board. (most kids were a little older then my son and look to be having fun).

Edited: 11 April 2012, 16:24
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
101 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace questions

There is free wifi in the lobby and the wifi in your room there is a fee. Not pricey, but the free wifi is a little slow and always seemed to drop service often. Never had a problem with the paid wifi...worked great.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 16:30
lancs
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace questions

Thank you. Is there a particular reason why July is considered off season in Aruba? We live near Manchester in the UK and Thomson only offer packages from beginning of May to end of October.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
NJ
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace questions

I see from their website that the Riu is all inclusive. Does anyone know if this is mandatory or can you stay without the all inclusive program?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
6,612 Reviews
Aruba
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,531 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace questions

Thank you. Is there a particular reason why July is considered off season in Aruba? We live near Manchester in the UK and Thomson only offer packages from beginning of May to end of October.

I see from their website that the Riu is all inclusive. Does anyone know if this is mandatory or can you stay without the all inclusive program?

--------------------------------------------------

High season in Aruba is generally mid-Dec. through mid to late April. Those are the colder months in the U.S. and Canada where most Aruba tourists are from - the demand is higher during those months to travel to a warmer climate.

Yes, the AI at the RIU is mandatory when booking with the RIU. They do, however, still have a few timeshare units from when the hotel was under a different name. If you are able to rent one of these units from a private owner, then the AI is optional.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
6,612 Reviews
Aruba
lancs
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace questions

Thanks for clearing that up Aruba Amy. I was afraid that it was considered off season due to poorer weather! July is easier for us to travel, as British schools then have their 6 week break.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,531 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Palace questions

Weather in Aruba is almost always the same year-round. We always travel to Aruba in the off season because it's less crowded and the airfares/hotel rates are less.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
lancs
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Palace questions

Thanks. We travelled to Mexico in the off season and loved the fact that it was less crowded. If we want crowds we can go to the Med in July!

10. Re: Riu Palace questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach