We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin: is the all-inclusive worth it?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
30 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Westin: is the all-inclusive worth it?

We're staying at the Aruba Westin and are trying to decide if we should get the all-inclusive package or not. Any advice would be helpful.

We've been married 20 years. Wife is 45, husband is 54. We're not bringing our kids (!)

We plan to have dinner out so we don't want a dinner package.

Breakfast -- $20/day/person. Seems like a no brainer

Breakfast, lunch, dinner -- $109/day/person. Is this a good idea? how much is the average lunch and drink? Is it more fun to walk down the beach and have drinks at other places (I heard Pelican Pier was fun)

would appreciate any thoughts

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin: is the all-inclusive worth it?

As one who is fairly new to Aruba and who has done both AI (at the Tam/Divi) and non-AI (Amsterdam Manor), I can tell you that I like non-AI sooo sooo much better. The breakfast is a good deal. Drinking can be pricey, but you can take strategic measures to keep your costs down (happy hours, buy stuff and keep it in your room and take a small cooler to the beach). If I could find a hotel in Aruba that had a killer breakfast buffet and then all I wanted to drink, I would be SO THERE. LOL

Good luck with your decision.

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin: is the all-inclusive worth it?

We stay in a time share and opt for the AI due to the flexibility. I should point out that neither of us like warm water fish, I don't like fish at all, and we live in an area where we can get lobsters ourselves with a license and traps.

With AI, you can eat whenever you want. We often do not eat at the same time, so it offers either of us to eat whenever we want.

We do not really like to lug stuff to the beach and make our own drinks. With the AI, you can drink whatever you want whenever you want, whether it be a soda or a martini. With drinks between $5. - $10. with 5 drinks and lunch, you have paid for the AI already. We like to stay on the beach and trying to hit happy hours for cheaper drinks is more of a hassle than it's worth IMO.

I think $20. for breakfast is ridiculous and I would never pay that. Not sure how much you eat for breakfast, but $20. is a lot p.p.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,341 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin: is the all-inclusive worth it?

When we were last at the Westin they wanted $75 per day per person for all inclusive drinks and another $75 per person per day for all inclusive food, total of $150 a day. Their breakfast buffet if good but overpriced as are almost all breakfast buffets at the high rise hotels. You can easily walk down the beach for a short piece and save $$ if you like.

Their beach side restaurant is great for lunch but their other restaurants are only so-so for dinner. If you are a big drinker then I would take the package. At about $10 per drink you can easily drink your way past the $100 per day. I don't drink and I would not take the package. There are many, many great restaurants within easy walking distance of the Westin for dinner.

CT
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin: is the all-inclusive worth it?

I have stayed NON ai at the westin... We ate a few meals on site, and they were fine. Nothing that left us saying that we had the best of the trip...

With the heart of palm beach 5 minutes from the lobby, it's hard to choose ai. Also, the bar scene, etc at the Westin is VERY low key at night. The outdoor bar closes at like 8pm or so, which means you are stuck at the lobby bar if you want to drink. However, if you are a day time drinker, and will be staying on resort for most of the days... get the ai, b/c the drinks are not cheap at the Westin.

I am somewhat of a hypocrite, b/c we have stayed at the divi 6 or 7 times now... and that's all inclusive.... LOL . Different setting, and overall area.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin: is the all-inclusive worth it?

My vote is doing the breakfast plan at the Westin. We have stayed there and found it very good.

We never do AI

Love to find unique restaurants and we enjoy fine dining .

We stay at timeshares now

Buy our booze as someone else had said - buy a soft cooler - love making our own drinks.

Everyone has their own ways and thats ours

Enjoy !!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
30 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin: is the all-inclusive worth it?

Thanks. We are happy to buy a cooler and make our own drinks. Are they cool with that? Can we take a bottle of vodka and mixers down to the pool?

Boston
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin: is the all-inclusive worth it?

I've been to the Westin Aruba 3x in the past year and returning soon. Their beachside restaurant really suxs during lunch. Horrible burger, salad, hot dog, chicken fingers. Blossom is pretty good for sushi and decent for chinese but it's not included in the AI program. Their breakfast buffet is good for only $19.95. There is a happy hour 12-1pm and 4-5pm where drinks are half price. You have to drink a lot and eat a lot to break even. There are too many good restaurants outside to get stuck eating at the Westin your whole vacation.

At checkin, they give you an option of breakfast only program, breakfast and lunch program, drinks only program, or total all-inclusive program.

phila
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin: is the all-inclusive worth it?

I know for our first trip we budgeted 600 for the week for 2 adults. We came home with money from that budget

109.pp each day-- I think I could eat for cheaper then that.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
30 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin: is the all-inclusive worth it?

Thank you for your helpful replies. We will probably not do the AI.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
361 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin: is the all-inclusive worth it?

I wouls say no unless you are huge eaters. There are too many nice places to eat for less. If you do not mind walking down the walkway, you can find less expensive place with more variety. Believe it or not, one day we actually went to Dunkin Donuts and the donuts tasted really good. Westin also has two happy hours every day with limited drinks at half price, so I vote for no AI.

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach