We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEWARE - Tubing on Palm/Eagle Beach

Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
BEWARE - Tubing on Palm/Eagle Beach

Hi everyone, I just returned from lovely stay in Aruba this past Monday. We had a wonderful time and will definitely return to Aruba someday.

While we stayed there, we thought it would be fun to try out tubing in the ocean (we've never done this before). It looked like a lot of fun. Before our trip started, we were told, don't worry, it won't flip. We paid $40 for both of us for a 20 minute ride which we thought was reasonable. Unfortunately, our tube actually flipped over and that was a terrifying experience. We both ended up in the ocean with some minor whiplash injury. I'm still sore today. The ride lasted about 10 mintues total and I did not want to get back on after the accident. We lost our sunglasses but that's nobody's fault. Upon my return home, I decided to search tubing accidents online. I'm counting my lucky stars as apparently, it is extremely dangerous with some fatal accidents (passengers have been "thrown" into other boats/catamarans and they've died) and some very serious accidents (fractured ribs, bones, critical care in the hospital, major whiplash). Anyways, it's my fault for not being informed. I didn't realize how dangerous it was and I wanted to let my fellow TripAdvisor friends know. The operator apologized but never returned any of the money (we only rode for half the amount of time). BE CAREFUL!!!!!

New York
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BEWARE - Tubing on Palm/Eagle Beach

Wow! Glad you're okay. That must have been very scary.

Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BEWARE - Tubing on Palm/Eagle Beach

It was SUPER scary. It all happened so fast when it flipped over and we both went right under. It took a few seconds for me to finally move the tube from above me and then I finally came to surface for air. Thank God for lifejackets. I could hear my hubby yelling my name. NEVER AGAIN. . . . way too dangerous for me.

New York
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BEWARE - Tubing on Palm/Eagle Beach

Yeah, I can imagine how disoriented you must have been.

And think of how many kids go on them? OMG!

Thanks for the heads up!

Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BEWARE - Tubing on Palm/Eagle Beach

Agreed. One of the stories I found online involved someone's son who had to be airlifted to the hospital in Miami and was in the intesive care or critical care unit for over 60 days. Not sure what the final outcome was though.

Although we were told not to worry about flipping over, after that incident, I think it probably happens more often. . . . I mean, you're riding over waves so the chances are 50/50 at least.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BEWARE - Tubing on Palm/Eagle Beach

Hmmm ... when we went last year me and my kidlets told him to flip us....

Though once my daughter kicked me in the head, I wish we hadn't.

Once was enough for me - we did the tube and the banana boat and both left me sore and thinking hard about heading to the spa for a massage....

Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BEWARE - Tubing on Palm/Eagle Beach

You're brave!! I assume he flipped you away from the many anchored boats/catamarans!?!? I can't imagine being thrown into one of those. . . .

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,252 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BEWARE - Tubing on Palm/Eagle Beach

Glad you're okay! I've never had a big desire to go tubing and now I know I definitely don't want to.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BEWARE - Tubing on Palm/Eagle Beach

Sorry that you had your first experience like that. I have a jetski and we go tubing alot. It can be a lot of fun when you have a responsible driver. You don't want to go really fast. Last year we did a banana boat ride in Aruba. They started out kind of fast for our first time. We had a blast. But the last couple of spills we took were really hard. We were sore for a few days. It isn't for everyone. All an accident takes is a split second for a condition to change and boom you are somewhere you'd wish you weren't.

Thanks for informing us all. I hope you feel better soon.

Edited: 23 May 2012, 20:29
Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BEWARE - Tubing on Palm/Eagle Beach

Thanks. I agree. He went super fast and spun us around in circles after the first few minutes. I don't know if that's what they all do. Accidents happen but in this case, it would have been a lot worse I think.

phila
Level Contributor
516 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: BEWARE - Tubing on Palm/Eagle Beach

I was under the impression that they ask the riders what type of ride do they wish to have.

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach