We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Beach

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Beach

We are staying at the Westin the first week in August. Someone told me that it is too windy to sit on the beach. Is that true? Also, are there lounge chairs to use on the beach if a palapa is unavailable? any other advice?

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,269 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Beach

I think that if it were too windy to sit on the beach, the Westin would probably be out of business :) But seriously, the Westin is a bit windier due to the location. There is a constant tradewind in Aruba, sometimes it's windy to the point where the sand blows but most often times not. We were at the Westin visiting friends years ago and it didn't seem any windier than any other location we've stayed at in our 10 trips to Aruba. There are many lounge chairs - more than palapas, I am sure.

Lynn, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Beach

Not generally true...mostly the wind is your friend, keeping the heat at bay

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Beach

Close your eyes and say 10 times: The wind is my friend...The wind is my friend..The wind....

Go and have fun...no worries!

Moorestown, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Beach

i was on Druif and Eagle...

all day, each day....

i loved it.

you'll figure it out... and find your sweet spot.

it was MARVELOUS.

Aruba surely has spoiled me... the beaches being the main culprit!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Beach

Yes you can just grab any lounge chair and put in anywhere on the beach. People with palapas are always blocked from the ocean view by people pulling their chair right in front of them, so it's usually not worth it for a front row palapa..

Edited: 05 June 2012, 20:57
CT
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Beach

I've stayed on druif beach 6-7 times now (Divi),and at the Westin once.

It's hard to compare apples to apples, as we stayed at the westin in February, and usually stay at the divi in the fall. However, we thought that the wind at the Westin was more intense than the divi. Coincidence? Could have been.... Could have also been related to a weather pattern or time of the year.

With that being said. IF we were to go back to Palm Beach, would i discount the Westin as a contender? Absolutely not. The wind is fine, it keeps you cool. The only annoying thing is, is the sand blasting from the wind. Occasionally a big gust will give you a few granulars in the face. lol . This has happened plenty of times at the divi over the years too.

Reading a magazine can be a challenge on a windy day too. :)

Unless you are extremely particular - you will be perfectly happy at the westin. Great hotel. My biggest irritation was the elevator was super slow.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Beach

Stayed at the Westin

A bit of wind - yes, but certainly nothing to worry about

Layed on the beach all 7 days - no sweat (HAHA_)

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
753 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Beach

Ok only been once! However I think the wind was a blessing to have. It helps keep you cooler! Bring some towel clips to hold your towel down when you get up. Bring a bubba keg from walmart too. They tend to be heavy enough not to get blown away and if they do tip over your drink is safe!! Bonus info!!

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Beach

Never heard of bubba kegs before...sound good, just looked them up online... £4 from asda....will have to purchase two of those :) ....thanks for the tip

10. Re: The Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach