We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling cards

Peabody...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Calling cards

Has anyone purchased calling cards lately and did they work that you can call US and US can call Aruba.

Also where did you purchase them?

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
150 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling cards

I personally never had any luck with the calling cards I purchased in Aruba. I tried 2 years in a row and could never find a phone that they worked with. We now rent a phone in Aruba from Aruba Discont Cell. We found this to be cheaper than putting International Service on our cell phones for a week and the service they provide is exceptional. You can find all the details on their website.

Cape Cod...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Provincetown
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling cards

There are blue phones that take a certain calling card, but there are very few phones that take them. Prior to buying the card, make sure you know where a phone is.

There used to be one at the Divi AI and Playa Linda but I have no idea if they are still there because I have a phone I use for Aruba only.

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling cards

Back in 2003 when we started going to Aruba, calling cards were the thing to do. The problem was that it was hard to find phones, and when you did find them (they had them at the Holiday Inn and Playa Linda) the lines were so very long and the waiting was awful.

One year we ended up buying a calling card in the area where Salt and Peppers is. There was a woman who would let us use the phone in her store to call back home, she was wonderful. That was years ago though.

I agree with renting a cell phone. It's cheap and reasonable. If you don't want to do this, then make sure that when you get to Aruba and buy a calling card, they give you some sort of list (if they can) indicating where the phones are. Otherwise you'll be searching endlessly.

Also, please note (not sure if you know this by your post): you can't buy a calling card in the US to use in Aruba; it has to be purchased in Aruba.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,171 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling cards

Years ago we used to use the Ventaha calling card in Aruba every year. We were able to buy it in the gift shop at our hotel and it worked from regular phones (always used the phone in our room.) Not sure if it's still available since we now use our laptop/email to keep in touch when traveling.

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling cards

Amy, when we bought Ventaha cards we couldn't use them from any hotel we stayed at...isn't that weird?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,171 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling cards

That is weird! We've only used them at Amsterdam Manor (phone in our room) and never had any problems with it.

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling cards

Maybe AMBR had the "good phones"!! :)

Peabody...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling cards

Thanks for that info did not realize a US one could not be used

9. Re: Calling cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach