We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anybody know why ??

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, England...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
anybody know why ??

Looking to visit Aruba in 2013/2014 we are in the UK it would appear that only Thomson fly direct does anyone know why non of the other major UK airlines fly there ?.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: anybody know why ??

My geography isn't the greatest, but once ya are over the Atlantic, isn't a direct flight a good thing?

Derby, England...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anybody know why ??

Hi there,

Perhaps you misunderstood..I was wondering why for instance BA/virgin etc don't fly to Aruba from the UK...as a way of a comparable price to Thomson...I know you can fly with klm via Amsterdam....just Interesting to the reason if anyone knew

Edited: 13 December 2012, 17:56
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anybody know why ??

I would say its a supply and demand type of thing. If there was a strong demand I am thinking the direct flights would be available with more airlines.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anybody know why ??

This same question has had me scratching my head for years, even though as a Yank I am spoiled for choice with regard to flights.

First Choice seems to have a lock on the charter travel business. I think Aruba isn't on the radar for many British travelers, so the demand isn't there. When they cancelled flights out of Manchester, our English friends were furious. *sigh* Who really knows?!

Edited: 13 December 2012, 21:11
Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anybody know why ??

First Choice has only been selling travel to Aruba for about 6 years. They do not cancel routes, such as Manchester, if they are making a ton of money. I too believe the demand is just not there.

If you did not want to go through Amsterdam you could fly through JFK, Atlanta or Miami.

Ferrara, Italy
Level Contributor
334 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anybody know why ??

The European legacy airlines tend to focus on their ex-colonies, hence, for example: BA to Barbados, Jamaica; Air France to Martinique, Guadeloupe; KLM to Aruba, St Martin; Iberia to PR, etc.

We fly from Italy to Aruba every winter with KLM, which has a really good European network to feed you into Amsterdam for the same day flight to Aruba, arriving about 5pm. I believe they fly from 9 airports just in the UK.

Going through the US takes MUCH longer AND you have to go through customs in the US before transferring to the Aruba flight. When I've researched in the past, the only airline that could get you to Aruba on the same day was BA-partner American via Miami, arriving at almost midnight.

I was recently in touch with Ursula at MCM tours, a US tour operator specializing in Aruba, which gets high marks from other Tripadvisor members. The company is also apparently known as Aruba4u and Players Choice. She told me they can put together for European travelers Aruba hotel/flight/etc packages all year round (vs First Choice which do not offer Aruba in the winter) using scheduled airlines. I doubt they can be as cheap as First Choice or other companies using charter flights, but probably much less expensive than doing it all on your own. Her contact info is Ursula@playerschoicetours.com.

- Maria

Edited: 14 December 2012, 09:37
Derby, England...
Level Contributor
34 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anybody know why ??

great answers, and certainly helps me understand it a lot more..how such a beautiful island, by the look of it,can be overlooked by us Brits amazes me...!!!

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
337 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: anybody know why ??

The reason the Dutch airlines fly (sometimes twice) daily to Aruba is indeed because Aruba is a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Due to that, the people who travel between the Netherlands and Aruba are not only tourists, but also people who live either in Aruba or in the Netherlands. People who go to visit family, or go to study at the university etc. etc. This affects the need for daily flights from the Netherlands. On the other hand we can never fly direct to Barbados, Bahama's etc. because there is no special relationship between the Netherlands and those destinations. I guess this works the other way round also for the UK.

When you would fly from UK to Amsterdam, you can choose between KLM and Arke (a charter, comparable to Thomson).

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: anybody know why ??

Arke Fly and Thomson are all part of the TUI Corporation.

And yes Thomson /First Choice (all the same company) are the only English Airline to fly there.

I work for them and I have heard that they are stopping flights from Manchester next summer due to not enough demand.

Hope that helps

10. Re: anybody know why ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach