We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Radisson or Marriott: Advice Needed

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston MA
Level Contributor
130 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Radisson or Marriott: Advice Needed

I'm torn between selecting the Radisson / Marriott for our brief spring getaway. We are a family of 4 (2 small children) and we will be looking for fun and sun in Aruba. Aside from that, we are looking for a resort with decent size rooms, a nice beach (not to crammed), and one that is close to restaurants.

From what I've read on line, it appears that the rooms at the Radisson are small, and paper thin, is this correct? I was thinking of booking a room in the Aruba tower as they are possibly larger. Also, I heard that the beach is wide and beautiful and that the palapa situation is manageable.

Regarding the Marriott, I read that while the rooms are of decent size, the beach is cramped with vacationers, elbow to elbow. Also, I have read reviews that indicate that the beach is littered with trash and that the water is not the carribean blue sea one would expect. Instead it is murky from boats and that it is filled with Algae that feels slimy at the bottom of your feet. Please tell me I'm wrong because the Marriott really appeals to me.

While room size is important, the beach and water conditions are more important.

Also, is mid-April considered high season? Will the crowds be less?

Edited: 09 January 2013, 21:29
LaGrangeville, New...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Radisson or Marriott: Advice Needed

Hi,

I would say you did your research, although maybe a little hard on the marriott beach. I have stayed at both of them.

Radisson - in the Aruba towers.. yes, the rooms are bigger then the other towers , but if you get a connecting room by chance that is where the rooms noise is really noticeable. The times I had a regular room in the Aruba tower I did not notice the noise it was only when I was in a room meant for connecting..

I think with kids the radisson pool.. zero entry with chairs in it where you can sit and watch them play .. wins hands down over Marriott pool and the beach area wins hands down. Although, the beach at marriott is ok.. just the Radisson is better. Plus you can walk outside your hotel at the Radisson and get to a bunch of restaurants. Not that you can't walk down the beach and through one of the other hotels to get to the restaurants with the Marriott but Radisson location is better.

WIth Easter being early this year.. i think mid april you will be getting towards the lesser crowds...

To me. this is an easy one.. Radisson.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Radisson or Marriott: Advice Needed

I think your description is good. Rooms bigger at the Mariott, but I have NOT found the walls to be paper thin in the Aruba tower. The Aruba tower is much bigger than the bonaire or curaco towers. The kids will love the 2 large zero entry pools at radisson and will also love all the birds on display...

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Radisson or Marriott: Advice Needed

During our stays at the Radisson, we found the walls in the Aruba tower to be thin :( I would instead save your money and request a room in the Curacao Tower. The rooms in that tower are only a smidgen smaller.

For kids the zero entry pool will be a huge hit and the Radisson's beach will be much less packed than what you will find at the Marriott.

Boston MA
Level Contributor
130 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Radisson or Marriott: Advice Needed

Thanks for the responses. I will look into the rooms at the Curacao tower. Yes, I forgot about the birds, my kids will love interacting with them.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Radisson or Marriott: Advice Needed

We stayed as a family of 3 last year in the Curaco tower, I find them to be considerably smaller than the Aruba tower. It may not sound like much of a difference in square feet but it certainly felt smaller. If it was just my wife and I the Curaco tower would be preferable, its quieter and less expensive. With the little one, I would only book the Aruba tower rooms.

Boston MA
Level Contributor
130 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Radisson or Marriott: Advice Needed

Thanks to all for your input and room comparisons. I know some people don't go on vacation to spend time in the room, but with smaller children, i will (I.e. nap time). Is there any site that displays the square footage for the rad. I was able to view this info for the Marriott.

New York
Level Contributor
771 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Radisson or Marriott: Advice Needed

Are you looking into the Marriott Stellaris, the Marriott Ocean Club, or the Surf Club? The Ocean and the Surf Club are both larger timeshare units, and the Surf Club is more geared toward familys with children. Although not as close to the resturants as the Rad, The Surf Club is located closer than the orther Marriott properties.

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Radisson or Marriott: Advice Needed

Have you looked into the Divi Phoenix beach towers? When traveling with little kids I find that hotel rooms just don't cut it! We preferr renting timeshares from owners and having room to spread out especially for nap time and early bed times. The timeshares end up being the same as a hotel room and you get a kitchen, living room, balcony & bedroom. Beats 4 people in a hotel room : )

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Radisson or Marriott: Advice Needed

I belive the curaco tower is approx 375 feet going from memory and I believe the Aruba tower is considerably bigger than that, probably 50 square feet or so...not a ton but every inch matters with a family of 4-

Boston MA
Level Contributor
130 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Radisson or Marriott: Advice Needed

We were considering the Stellaris from the list of Marriott properties.

Initially we did consider the timeshares as an option but we are only going for 4 nights and when I looked at redweek.com, the offers for timeshares was for the entire week. Also, we prefer to stay on Palm Beach .

Thanks for the description of the room size for the Radisson.

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach