We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

New York City
Level Contributor
97 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants

Hello everyone, I will be travelling with my family, 7 of us. Is it OK to ask for separate checks in the restaurants. This will make it easier for everyone. Thank you!

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

I do not believe that asking for separate checks will be acceptable. Not sure if restaurant will allow you to do this, but I am certain they will frown upon it.

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

Are you saying 1 separate check for each person? Not sure how well that will fly....Or is it a few checks?

New York City
Level Contributor
97 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

It will probably be 4 separate checks, but if that's not the custom in Aruba, we'll go with one check. Thanks all for the comments.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 18:18
Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

Truthfully, I could see if you are asking for 2 checks for 2 separate families among the 7 of you - it probably wouldn't be a huge problem. However, I'm not really 100% sure because we have never asked for a separate check when dining with others and don't know what the reaction would be.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 18:36
Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

I waited tables all through college and grad school, and nothing makes a server's heart sink more than "Can we have separate checks?" especially after the order has been taken. What we DIDN'T mind was a heads-up from the host who took the reservation and noted it in the book. If you are making a reservation, I would ask about the feasability of separate checks when booking.

spartanburg, sc
Level Contributor
630 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

NO, NO, agree with others - restaurant meals can be expensive, but geez, why not take turns? If you're dining with people whom you want to travel with - cheerfully pick up the check, then next couple, family, etc. can do so the next night out.. Please don't do this to servers and/or the one who gets an app/ extra drink.

Enjoy, please $50 - $100 really doesn't matter in the end.

Granted, I've been married for almost 38 years to a wonderful, generous guy, who will NEVER let anyone else pick up a check (unless it's planned for his B-Day, etc.).

OK, I may get some flak, but we've almost always paid with family, friends who've visited, so .........take out the wallet and remember what's important. OK, off soap box, making dinner now :)

New York City
Level Contributor
97 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants

Ok FoxyLeo, got the message lol!! Thanks everyone for your input. We will not be asking for separate checks.

Montoursville...
Level Contributor
277 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants

We have traveled with two other couples and we did not have a problem getting separate checks. I also was a server for many years and as long as you ask when you order, it should not be a problem!

New York City
Level Contributor
97 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants

Kathy H. You know what, I will just ask. If the waiter/waitress seems annoyed or says no, so be it. It never hurts to ask though. Thanks for your input.

Edited: 26 October 2013, 15:54
Yarmouth Port...
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants

we were in a restaurant in florida once for breakfast and we happened to notice a entire table of people (probably 16) ask for separate checks. i was shocked, but the waitress never blinked!

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach