We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marriott

My husband and I are going to Aruba at the end of February and are thinking of staying at the Marriott. I need help. Is it worth the money to upgrade to the tradewinds for the views and for the lounge? We want to do something special since its our 25th anniversary.

Also what are the options to get from the airport to the hotel? How far away is it?

We have stayed at AL before but it seems limited in Aruba.

Thanks for any help......

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,466 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott

Here is some great information in a thread about Tradewinds: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147249-i151-k5419…

Most people not renting cars will take a cab from the airport. As you walk out of the airport, there are a ton of of them waiting. Depending on downtown Oranjestad traffic, it could take about 20+ minutes to get to the Marriott. It's the last resort complex (well, not anymore since the Ritz is opening soon) on Palm Beach.

You are correct - AI in Aruba is limited, as there are so many wonderful restaurants to choose from and it is completely safe to leave your resort. It sounds like the Tradewinds upgrade would be great for you, and a nice way to celebrate your special anniversary. Congrats!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
654 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott

We will be at the Marriott Surf Club the end of February too! We stayed there in 2008 for our 25th anniversary, and loved it so we are going back. We have friend that are going the 1st week but staying somewhere else (they have a timeshare). We typically have a small breakfast and light lunch in our room and then go out to dinner. We buy our alcohol at the store and make drinks in our room. We do hit happy hours. We rent and car and I guess I would recommend renting a car for at least part of the week.

New York
Level Contributor
781 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott

Price for the upgrade to the Tradewinds varies. I have seen it offered for many different prices. If you are going to use the services and the price is right , then go for it. When I was there in October, they offered it to me for $150 per nite. We don't each a large breakfast, generally skip lunch, and do not want a high level floor. So for us, it was not something we would use. However, those who do choose to upgrade, are very happy they did. It is a personal choice If these are upgraded that you will enjoy taking advantage of and the price is right, go for it, Makes for a most enjoyable anniversary. Enjoy, you will love the Marriott no matter what you decide.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott

We travel from cold NY to Aruba in February. What a great place to be. You will enjoy the the Marriott Hotel. Having a car is helpful, if not there are taxis.

as you exit the airport, the taxis are right there.

Safe travels

Maryland
Level Contributor
236 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott

Having a car is a good idea in Aruba. It is a small island and not too difficult to navigate (even if you get a little lost). We have stayed at the Marriott with and without the upgrade to Tradewinds. As stated before, if the price is right it is a nice feature. We paid $125 and were satisfied. The breakfast and lunch are nice. Snacks and drinks in the evening are very nice and if you don't feel like going out one evening and are not very hungry they can replace dinner. I think internet is also included in this upgrade.

Lexington...
Level Contributor
516 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott

As everyone says, it is really a price/value trade off. If Tradewinds gives you what you want at a fair price then go for it. We prefer the freedom to come and go from the hotel and explore whatever strikes our fancy and that includes the many dining options that AI denies one and the diversity that Aruba has to offer. The end of February will most likely be in the Week 8 time frame which will be peak season and that too might be a factor as to whether you want the exclusivity of Tradewinds as well. Bottom line is that it really is a personal choice issue. I would suggest first checking out what you might do if you do not go with Tradewinds and then seeing if Tradewinds can similarly or better fill those desires. Either way, have a good time.

springfield, mo.
Level Contributor
73 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott

Tradewinds saved us about $200 per day. Breakfast downstairs was very expensive . And you get free beer all day plus premium alcohol from 6-9 pm nightly.

8. Re: Marriott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach