We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin bought out!

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NH
Level Contributor
496 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Westin bought out!

Just read that the Westin has been bought out by the Riu next door. Has anyone also heard that?

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin bought out!

Yep, its a done deal.

NH
Level Contributor
496 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin bought out!

Are they doing anything different at the hotel?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin bought out!

The best of Westin staff were hired by The Ritz. It's really going to be interesting to see hoe RIU utilizes the property.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin bought out!

I wonder if they'll actually level the property and start over with a completely new building to keep in line with the appearance of the property next door. It would be nice if they made this property adults only.

San Rafael...
Level Contributor
92 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin bought out!

As much as I don't want to see any further development in Aruba, I sure hope SPG (starwood) opens up a property in aruba after this. The westin was a bit of a wreck at times but not having enough spg options in the carribean stinks.

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin bought out!

In the announcement of the acquisition, it is said that they will be doing a 30 to 40 million USD renovation to the Westin property. The only way I could see them going Adult only would be to keep the properties separate.

JMO, Adult only on Palm Beach really isn't a sound business move. There are no other adult only resorts on Palm Beach and I think that there is a good reason for that. Adult only settings need to be more intimate and Palm Beach is downright crowded at times.

Topeka, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin bought out!

I hear you on the lack of SPG options in the Caribbean. I LOVE Aruba and will be really sad to no longer return due to lack of SPG options. Ugh. For what it's worth, when I called SPG to ask about the situation, they claimed to have no knowledge of a sale.

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin bought out!

Maybe they aren't authorized to talk about the acquisition because it just happened in the last 2 weeks.

9. Re: Westin bought out!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach